Roasting a duck for Christ-mas Day question?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I wanted to check the ideal temperature for roasting a duck for Christmas Dinner? Any suggestions?

One of the reasons I wanted to ask this is because we tried this for Thanksgiving, but another family member literally just took over and didn't let anyone have any say. The result was they had cooked it on a slow roast thing. But they didn't have the temperature right and so a lot of the fat wasn't cooked out. So some parts of the meat tasted sort of fatty, and that's not good to taste. You want it to sort of taste 'steak' like you know...

(And not sure if this was partly related to it being sort of a young duck. But it wasn't veal to be clear. And it was taken good care of during its life time.)

So I thought there's got to be an ideal temperature for this. And fat would cook out better for some temperatures. (And yes remove large clumps of it for sure. You get the idea.)

Fat would melt under the right temperature also.

Doesn't thinking about this make you hungry? It should.

Ducks are awesome for many reasons.

Friends don't let friends cook their friends...unless their friends are ducks.

Anyway hope you can suggest to me on this.

Thank you very much.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haven't roasted a duck since I was young, mostly I just can mine up, but found a very simple video that may help you...if it's not too late, that is.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Your video helped.

It does seem that you have to have the temperature high enough to melt the fat. You saved the day with your information. (And this is also what happened wrong last time when the meat tasted fatty.)