Rolling Acres - This and That

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
My dog, June. We think she's a Golden Retriever/Husky mix. She looks like a golden but she has fur like a Husky and she has the white "arch" on her face like a Husky. We adopted her 13 years ago and we think she's around 12 or 13 years old. She came from TN, we drove down to PA to meet with her transporter to pick her up on Thanksgiving Day 2005, so her unofficial birthdate is Thanksgiving Day. :)
1st pic: June enjoying the sun and watching the birds. 2nd pic: June watching a deer at the far end (circled). FYI the red barns are not ours, they are my neighbor's. Maybe one day he will sell that piece of property to us.
21153.jpeg
FB_IMG_1524666158737.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That seems fairly reasonable. Not sure how one defines "upstate" as a different region from other areas in the northern part since the "Northern NY" area is also "up state" from "down state".

Though the NYC residents would likely mark that spot as "New York" and everything else as "Who cares?" ;)

And isn't Watertown AKA "Snowmageddon every winter"?

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Q&A Part 2:

21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn? Zero farm specialty. I'm a beginner, still have lots to learn.
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take? Hmmm not sure what I would create but I would like to learn about beekeeping. I have been talking about learning beekeeping for years just haven't done it yet.
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet? I have helped DH with framing. I know how to use a Miter saw and a nail gun. I have also helped with burning planks of wood to create a burnt wood look.
24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine? I'm not familiar with it so would have to read about it first.
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? Some where over the rainbow? Lol just kidding. I would love to have a lake house in a warmer place.
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? No
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be? Don't know about that one
28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals? Not really.
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs? I love to cook and bake. I'm better at baking. DH is better at cooking. We try not to eat as much processed food. I've never tried raw milk and I have farm fresh eggs from my hens (well hen).
30. What was your best animal experience? Worst? Don't have much experience with farm animals yet. But the worst experience with any animal would be the day we had to put our dog Samantha down. :(
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? I would love to learn how to forage. We have ramps growing in our property, so I do pick some when they are up. I don't hunt but if I need to for food I can. I have some guns and I know how to use them. ;)
32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm? I can do all the basics like cooking, baking, planting, canning. I'm not afraid to work and get my hands dirty.
33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve? I have not tried processing our own meat yet but I'm sure one day I will. I do know how to can. I make my own pasta sauce and salsa every year from the tomatoes from my garden. I canned the sauce and salsa.
34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to? Currently not using any alternative energy source but I would like to one day to get into solar or wind energy.
35 What is on your to do list? Does laundry, doing dishes, house cleaning count? :D
36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to? No. I would like to but with both of us working full time there's not much time and DH is quite picky when it comes to food so it would be tough.
37. In what do you trust? God
38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money? It depends. If we can make or fix it, definitely DIY first. But some things are just out of our element.
39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits? Definitely