Rolling Acres - This and That

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
:drool Oh yum! We had leftover spaghetti. Ugh. Kids eat it well though and I worked so it met everyone’s need. Trying to figure out something yummy for tonight. DD1 asked for steak before she got on the bus. I’ve also got a ton of eggs so I’m thinking I’ll make some deviled eggs since the kids love them...

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
:drool Oh yum! We had leftover spaghetti. Ugh. Kids eat it well though and I worked so it met everyone’s need. Trying to figure out something yummy for tonight. DD1 asked for steak before she got on the bus. I’ve also got a ton of eggs so I’m thinking I’ll make some deviled eggs since the kids love them...

Mmmm I love deviled eggs but I don't ever make them because DH doesn't really eggs.
Steak sounds good, smart kid for asking for steak! :) My son LOVES steak as well, and pork and chicken and lamb....:D
I think tonight might just be lunchmeat sandwiches. Tomorrow will be beef nachos.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have 3 bulls that we are looking at and I think we are probably going to go with Redemption. Thoughts?
Bulls.jpg

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes. I was able to find an AI tech and I spoke with him last week. The only thing is somehow we missed observing Mama Bertie for heat. So now I'm starting to worry about what if we couldn't pin down the date for standing heat, then what?

Also DH had mentioned that someone he knows has some Hereford and suggested that maybe we can ask him if we can bring our heifer to his bull. I guess we would have to ask his friend if the bull heifer safe before we consider it.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
They make heat patches that help detect standing heat.

Here’s a link to the ones we use at Valley Vet for an example. I like that you can pick different colors since green or blue would show up really well on your red cows. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...MIpvfQlMbi2gIVhbbACh1uRQGzEAQYASABEgKUlfD_BwE

Here’s info on what a patch should look like to indicate standing heat...
20007CB7-9C35-46D9-996B-59DF1034A67C.png

*Most* bovine females cycle every 21 days. The temperature being high outside can make it difficult to detect so the patches may help. You don’t need a whole pack for your two females. (We use them to detect cycles, to verify again when we breed-sometimes more than once, then again to make sure they are “covered.” So approximately 3-5 per cow.) I’ve got a package, PM me your address and I’ll mail you five to get her bred and make sure she took. ;)

A live bull can often have a better success rate. Heifer safe is very important! (Your other female may not do well alone...) She would need to stay about 42-50 days. This would give her a chance to cycle and then verify that she took. You can use the patches for this also so that you know when she was bred and if she cycles again. (You’ll like being able to calculate an exact due date if you go the live cover route.)

That’s all I can think of for now...

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh I did see those heat patches in your AI post but thought it's only useful with a bull around (to see if she's been mounted). So it can be used to just detect heat on a cow, the scratches just shows if the cow's been mounted. Don't know what I was thinking when I first read it.
That's very nice of you! Ok, I will PM you in a little while. Thank you! :thumbsup

It might not work with a live bull if you think my other female won't do well by herself for 42-50 days. I can't send her there with the older one because she's still too young to breed and I don't want to take a chance of her coming in heat at the same time and accidentally get mounted or get injured. That would not be good.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
If Bertie isn’t with a bull, the patch will only work if the younger one rides her...the scratching off occurs when mounted by another bovine.

Depending on arrangements, there may be some younger animals or a herd without the bull that your younger girl can stay with during that time frame. It all depends on what you are able to work out.

We are enablers...lol...so there is always the option of buying a new female addition or a steer planned for butcher to keep her company...