Rolling Acres - This and That

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So the patches only "works" if mounted, so to speak. We definitely have not seen the younger one rider her or vice versa but we're also not out there 24hrs observing. It wouldn't hurt to put the patches on them to check.

Hah, we have considered that option as well, getting another female or a steer. It all comes down to money.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, cows can come into heat as young as 10-14 months, so my younger female Scaper(CH calls her Knobs), may already came in heat before and we didn't noticed. She is around 12-13 months old.
How young do you start breeding your cows?

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmmm...can you get a pic of her near something that I could judge her size by? For example, a garden shed or a mature tree or if she will let you pet her, you! A pic down her top from her tail to her head to show how wide she is. I’ll try to go back and find the pics you posted of them.

Tail to head example pic: (on right, just trying to give you an idea of the angle I’d need.)

6902A47B-2785-4EDF-9598-BC80CC402DE7.jpeg

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't use age alone as the determining factor for 1st breeding.
Size, condition, weight are more important than days alive.
It don't do much good to get one bred if she can't carry it, have it relatively easy (1st calf heifers an exception), drop a live one, and, be able to feed it.
I want a heifer at breeding, to weigh between 50-65% of what it will weigh when mature.
I'm not familiar with that breed but I would make a stab at mature weight being around 1100-1200 lbs. They appear to be a fairly fast maturing breed tho, but are bred later than most US, Continental and UK breeds are.

I think the little one needs some more groceries and some more time. If it were here in my area, I would consider it needs de-worming but you are up north and still has it's winter hair coat.
That grass belly (not a criticism) is common after a winter on mostly hay but masks it's true frame score and condition..it looks pretty light from these and the pics in your other thread.