Rolling Acres - This and That

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure if that's even possible - to watch process at the butcher.
It might be, you would have to ask. AND you would need to decide just how much of it your son really wants to watch. Killing and skinning I would think would be the most traumatic. It is a lot less 'real and personal' once it is a hanging carcass. Who knows, maybe your son will become a butcher!

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
AND you would need to decide just how much of it your son really wants to watch. Killing and skinning I would think would be the most traumatic.
I did ask him when he said that he'd like to watch the butchering, he said the part where the butcher cuts up the hanging carcass. I will check with him again. He knows that the animal will have to be killed first then hang for 2 weeks.

Who knows, maybe your son will become a butcher!
I'm sure his interest in watching the butchering process came from watching this new TV show called "The Butcher". In this show (usually 3 rounds in one episode), first the competing butchers are given a carcass (each), could be a cow, pig, snake, beaver, fish. They are usually asked to cut up the carcass in different ways that will get the most retail $$$. The winners of this round will move on to the 2nd round with another challenge...and so on. It's on the History Channel if anyone wants to check it out.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya could always get a fryer at the store and ya can supervise and teach him how to cut up a chicken first....that is what I learned on growing up....our grandsons were learning how to fillet fish from pawpaw, but before I got to them trying we were "uprooted"....ya can teach a bunch just allowing him to watch ya and most importantly, can learn about sharp knives and which is best for what job......:)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last year after we butchered chickens, I gave one to neighbors. Neither one had ever cut up a chicken-and are older than us. They were proud that they finally figured it out. It took them half a day...…:th

I have 7 or 8 young roos that I want to get butchered. I think I'm going to spatch cock them for the BBQ pit. They are EE's so won't be very big or have a lot of meat.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are EE's so won't be very big or have a lot of meat.
Sure wouldn't be on mine. They look big until they moult, then you wonder how they are alive being all skinny like they are.

new TV show called "The Butcher".
Somehow I would have assumed that would be another gory crime show. Interesting that someone decided they could make money with a show about butchering animals. Especially since so many people don't even seem to know how the meat in the store gets there or where it came from.

They were proud that they finally figured it out. It took them half a day...…:th
:thindeed! I guess neither of them ever carved a chicken or turkey.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last year after we butchered chickens, I gave one to neighbors. Neither one had ever cut up a chicken-and are older than us. They were proud that they finally figured it out. It took them half a day...…:th

I have 7 or 8 young roos that I want to get butchered. I think I'm going to spatch cock them for the BBQ pit. They are EE's so won't be very big or have a lot of meat.
Gotta say i'm guilty...I never cut up a whole chicken either :lol::hide

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gotta say i'm guilty...I never cut up a whole chicken either :lol::hide

Don't feel by yourself -- I don't know how to cut up a chicken, either. But considering that I don't like chicken meat, I don't feel that I have been deprived in my life. (Now for the onslaught of chicken lovers! :hide)