1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Update on our 4 piggies - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Rolling Acres - This and That

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by RollingAcres, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Aug 16, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

I'm not a big meat fan...not for any real reason besides I just don't like it :hu
    Now, gutting and fileting a fish I can do...I used to go fishing all the time and I loved it :)

2. Aug 17, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

OH NO!! CHICKEN UNCUTTER UPPERS ABOUND!!
    :lol::lol::lol:

3. Aug 17, 2019
    AmberLops

Chicken uncutter uppers??? :lol::lol::gig:gig

4. Aug 17, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

To coin a phrase......that's how southernisms get made up.....:gig

5. Aug 17, 2019
    AmberLops

6. Aug 20, 2019
    RollingAcres

RollingAcres Herd Master

Both our cows were sent to the butcher last Saturday. But let me back up and tell you about that day. I woke up Saturday morning and as usual went out to do animal chores. After I let the chickens out of the coop, I headed to the cow pasture. I wanted to feed the cows and "say my goodbyes" and thank them... But as I was walking there, I didn't see the cows in the field. I called them as I was opening the gate but they didn't come running. I looked in the barn, nothing. They were GONE! Unbeknown to us, they had pushed and snapped a couple of poles in the back field and got out. So DH drove the truck to the back of our property to see if they were back there. Then I heard him honking and calling them so I knew they must be in the back of the property. After calling and coaxing them for a while, we finally got them back into the barn and locked them inside.

The older heifer, her hanging weight was 820 Lbs. The younger heifer, her hanging weight was 430 Lbs. We decided that we would send the younger one to the butcher at the same time rather than wait for a later time. She was quite attached to the older heifer, she would have been lonely if we left her by herself.

DH asked the butcher if he would allow my son to watch the butchering(cutting up meat) process. He said yes and he would even let DS and DH help packing the meat.

Baymule, Mike CHS, AmberLops and 4 others like this.
  7. Aug 20, 2019
    farmerjan

farmerjan Herd Master

The older one was a good hanging weight. The younger will be "baby beef". You were smart to not try to keep one by herself, she would have gone crazy and been out alot looking for company. You will be able to get the younger one with any backbone, and the butcher will make the determination on the larger one but I'm thinking size wise she could go either way.
    Maybe you can get some other things in order, and then get a couple beef animals again in a year or so. As you found out, they do take care, and time and money to feed even with decent pasture. Hope they taste good for you.

Baymule, Mike CHS, AmberLops and 5 others like this.
  8. Aug 20, 2019
    RollingAcres

RollingAcres Herd Master

Yes definitely. We definitely will do it again once we get some things in order. I'm glad we had a chance to do it and learned from our first cattle raising experience.

The butcher gave us the hanger steak from the younger one and we grilled that up the next day. It was very good! Can't wait for the rest to come back.

9. Aug 20, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Congratulations on your first animal harvest...enjoy it :drool :clap :thumbsup

10. Aug 20, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

:yesss: