Rolling Acres - This and That

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Both our cows were sent to the butcher last Saturday. But let me back up and tell you about that day. I woke up Saturday morning and as usual went out to do animal chores. After I let the chickens out of the coop, I headed to the cow pasture. I wanted to feed the cows and "say my goodbyes" and thank them... But as I was walking there, I didn't see the cows in the field. I called them as I was opening the gate but they didn't come running. I looked in the barn, nothing. They were GONE! Unbeknown to us, they had pushed and snapped a couple of poles in the back field and got out. So DH drove the truck to the back of our property to see if they were back there. Then I heard him honking and calling them so I knew they must be in the back of the property. After calling and coaxing them for a while, we finally got them back into the barn and locked them inside.

The older heifer, her hanging weight was 820 Lbs. The younger heifer, her hanging weight was 430 Lbs. We decided that we would send the younger one to the butcher at the same time rather than wait for a later time. She was quite attached to the older heifer, she would have been lonely if we left her by herself.

DH asked the butcher if he would allow my son to watch the butchering(cutting up meat) process. He said yes and he would even let DS and DH help packing the meat.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The older one was a good hanging weight. The younger will be "baby beef". You were smart to not try to keep one by herself, she would have gone crazy and been out alot looking for company. You will be able to get the younger one with any backbone, and the butcher will make the determination on the larger one but I'm thinking size wise she could go either way.
Maybe you can get some other things in order, and then get a couple beef animals again in a year or so. As you found out, they do take care, and time and money to feed even with decent pasture. Hope they taste good for you.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe you can get some other things in order, and then get a couple beef animals again in a year or so. As you found out, they do take care, and time and money to feed even with decent pasture.
Yes definitely. We definitely will do it again once we get some things in order. I'm glad we had a chance to do it and learned from our first cattle raising experience.

Hope they taste good for you.
The butcher gave us the hanger steak from the younger one and we grilled that up the next day. It was very good! Can't wait for the rest to come back.