Rolling Acres - This and That

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule I know you make chicken broth and can them. Do you use a pressure canner or hot water bath method? I don't have a pressure canner, I wonder if I can can the broth using the hot water bath method. I want to make some beef broth using our soup shank.
Does anyone have a good recipe to make broth?
I can broth in a pressure canner. Do not use a hot water bath, to be on the safe side. I can chicken meat also. I don't use a recipe, I just use the broth from simmering the chicken and bones. My favorite broth is from old layer hens, it is yellow and full of flavor. I put a half teaspoon of salt in each pint jar.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
am going to try this one (or some variation depending on what veggies I have to toss in
https://www.foodiecrush.com/best-chicken-stock/
That recipe looks good! I looked up some beef broth recipes as well. Looks like the main thing about making bone broth from most of these recipes is roasting the meat to give it the extra flavor.

I use bone broth and 'better than bullion'
I love that "better than bouillon" stuff! I think once I find a recipe for broth that I like, I might try to boil it down to make some bouillons.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok I don't want to hijack @MtViking 's journal to talk more about canning, so I'll do it here in my journal.

@Baymule @Mike CHS @Mini Horses @Bruce and anyone else who'd like to share your input on this:
  • Do you have home canned goods that are older than 12-18 months in your pantry?
  • In your experience have you eaten any home canned goods that are older than 2 years?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think we got rid of all the old stuff (all commercial store bought stuff). We did find some cans that were like 15 years old. Clearly we buy things we don't need!

Ooooh!! I found a jar of sunflower seed butter - sell by June 2012! Never opened, probably still good. I know *I* sure didn't buy that.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only ones I have eaten (or drank) were tomatoes and quart jars of tomatoe juice. I have used some that sat on a shelf a few years. They were still good. In that cold pack canning version, there has to be acid added. We used lemon juice even to the 'maters. I have heard of adding white vinegar.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Clearly we buy things we don't need!
Maybe you "needed" it at the time but forgot all about it. ;)

I have used some that sat on a shelf a few years. They were still good.
I have used my own salsa/tomato sauce that were over a year old but made sure that we hurry up and use them up before it's over 2 years. I always check to make sure the seal was not compromised, check to make sure no mold on top and no funky foul smell.

In that cold pack canning version, there has to be acid added. We used lemon juice even to the 'maters. I have heard of adding white vinegar.
How much lemon juice do you add in? I use the hot water bath version and I don't add lemon juice or vinegar.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe you "needed" it at the time but forgot all about it. ;)
Not me! If I have a "need" for a nut butter, I'm fine with peanut butter. Had to be DW or DD1 wanted it for something. Of course DD1 also NEEDED a new springform pan, it has been sitting in its box unused since we bought it about a year ago. And she NEEDED a cupcake carrier. Finally found one on Amazon. It ALMOST got used a couple of weeks ago but DD2 didn't want to have to clean it to take some cupcakes (that DD1 made) to work for someone's birthday. So it is back on the shelf as it has been for months and months and months.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
old layer hens
When/how do you "decide" it's time for the old layers to go to freezer camp, or in this case soup pantry?
I have a layer hen that doesn't lay, hasn't been for at least 3 years. She's not even that old, we got her when we first moved in to our house, that was in 2015. She laid eggs for 1 year or so...then after her first molting, she had stopped. I kept her around as a companion back when I had only 2 hens. Now that I have 5 more laying hens, I wonder if I should still keep her around or send her to freezer camp...

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not me! If I have a "need" for a nut butter, I'm fine with peanut butter. Had to be DW or DD1 wanted it for something. Of course DD1 also NEEDED a new springform pan, it has been sitting in its box unused since we bought it about a year ago. And she NEEDED a cupcake carrier. Finally found one on Amazon. It ALMOST got used a couple of weeks ago but DD2 didn't want to have to clean it to take some cupcakes (that DD1 made) to work for someone's birthday. So it is back on the shelf as it has been for months and months and months.
o_O:rolleyes: kids

Latest posts