Ronny the dumpster diver!

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Since we have been together Ronny has always wanted to stop at a pile of junk on the side of the road just in case there is something in there he can use. To me junk is junk and you leave it where it is. To him it's a treasure waiting to be found. Yesterday we were headed out to do some errands and he yelled at me stop! So I did (conditioning) He got out of the car and picked up a dog igloo off a pile of junk. It looked like a nasty mess to me but he wanted it. We took it home where he pressure washed it and cleaned it up inside and out. My goodness it looks like brand new! We put it in the goat habitat last evening and little Rascal and Shawn Patrick couldn't get enough of jumping on it to play king on the mountain. Head butting each other and jumping up and jumping off of it doing pirouettes in the air and having a ball with it. Little Buttons was just glad to go inside and eat the fresh hay Ron put in it...while his brothers were doing all of that jumping and playing...I'm sure he'll get his chance when they get tired...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am a scrounger. It has driven my husband nuts, but he finally got on board with my wackiness. I dragged home used lumber, pulled nails and stacked in the garage. I bought reject lumber from Lowes and bargain bottom prices. Pretty soon the double garage was full...…...

Then we bought this place and I brought all my treasures with me. We had a 36'x36' horse barn built and used my treasures. We bought plywood for the roof decking and 20'x2x6's for rafters. We did buy all new metal for the roof and sides because I wanted it to look nice. With labor and what materials we bought we have less than $8,000 in it, half was the metal. Insurance appraised it for $35,000. Not too shabby, eh?

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am a scrounger. It has driven my husband nuts, but he finally got on board with my wackiness. I dragged home used lumber, pulled nails and stacked in the garage. I bought reject lumber from Lowes and bargain bottom prices. Pretty soon the double garage was full...…...

Then we bought this place and I brought all my treasures with me. We had a 36'x36' horse barn built and used my treasures. We bought plywood for the roof decking and 20'x2x6's for rafters. We did buy all new metal for the roof and sides because I wanted it to look nice. With labor and what materials we bought we have less than $8,000 in it, half was the metal. Insurance appraised it for $35,000. Not too shabby, eh?
It's wonderful if you can use what you pick up. He's gotten room rugs, fence gates, wood paneling, lots of flooring, wooden spools, lumber, a christmas tree we still use just all kinds of stuff. Including the lazy boy chair that I still use in the house... The man is a genius!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah!! We do the same thing!! Get on board Judy!! This is sort of embarrassing to admit, but, we collect the garbage for all of our apartments...35 units. People throw out great stuff. Especially sweepers! If it gets clogged, or a broken belt, they toss it! We have 38 sweepers in our Movie Theater. They also throw out all kinds of Rubbermaid bins..same thing, we power wash them...and bam...presto..good as new, I put my opened bags of feed in them, etc. there are also construction factories around here. My hubby was a contractor. We go around and get plywood that has a tiny piece cut out. Their waste drives me nuts!! One week we got 27, 5 gallon buckets!! Huge score at this farm!! We also have an igloo and two of those two huge dog crates, plus other play stuff for my goats. Sugar, my 3mth old kid, loves the igloo! When they were new, they’d hide in there, no more...now they just use them to jump, and bawl when I don’t let them out to free range with me. They are really learning the boundaries great! I let the leashes drag in case I need to hurry up and ge5 them, man are 5hey a wreck! It’s almost nice enough to tie them out in a new area so they can eat some grass. Not much grass where they are yet...their pasture needs rotation, but we want to wait to see where it’s goin* to be the driest...so far...no where!!