Rooster in need of help

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Please give me some advice on my rooster. His feet are swollen at the bottom and red, but when examined they have no wounds so not bumble foot. There is a red stripe down his leg too, but also at the top of the leg around the feathers the skin is inflamed and red. At first I though mites and treated him and the whole coop for this (even though none of the other chicks are showing any signs of issues) but after a week, he is not improving. I have soaked his feet in Epsom salt and some flea shampoo (just a few drops) and then applied an antibiotic as well as a comfrey salve I use. He is in a cage in our garage for now, but looking for advice if you have any.

he seems mostly okay otherwise, but he is walking very oddly, he high steps if that makes sense and he tries to keep his left foot up as much as possible. But he is still a sweet guy despite this. I am so unsure what has caused this. and I kept him at the house for about 4 days before Christmas, soaking and treating it, he seemed to improve some, so I put him back in the coop. But he seemed in pain so I brought him back up yesterday. I hand raised this guy, he is the best rooster, I am really hoping we can resolve this. I am going to treat him with some essential oils in the morning, and see if this helps. but was hoping someone might have an idea what this is. I might also try to find some oral meds I give him.
20201228_153226.jpg
20201228_153217.jpg

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't really see any swelling in these pics and the redness is usually hormones or exposure to heat or cold, but if he's limping or favoring the foot, then he's got some inflammation going on and it could be dietary....what level of protein are you feeding right now? High protein diets in birds can cause gout that leads to bumblefoot...doesn't have to have a wound on the feet to get bumble foot.

To ease that pain and inflammation, I'd rub some castor oil into it and cover with vet wrap for now. Castor oil is odorless, tasteless, and easily had at any drug store and even at Dollar General. You'll find it in the laxative aisle. It's been used for centuries for inflamed joints on race horses and work horses. It's an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal agent that can work some really seeable miracles, so it will not hurt the bird to try it. It's also a great miticide, so if you have leg mites, it can help with all of that.

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
thanks, interesting on the protein level, we have not changed up their food, but I was giving them scrambled eggs, since I had so many extra eggs over the past few weeks.. I guess that it might have led to this. But he normally lets the girls eat most the treats, he is very generous that way. I have not given them eggs now for about a week, and will refrain from it for now... But I have examined his feet carefully and no wounds at all, just swollen and red.

but I did treat his feet today and I add castor oil to the comfrey salve I have and I added in Frankincense and hellichrysum and melaleuca quinquenervia all of which have healing properties. I am keeping a close eye on him, have him up at the house in a cage, we will see... if you get any more ideas please send them my way. TJhanks for your help.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We take turmeric for inflammation. I mix it with coconut oil to make a paste. We can actually feel it working in about 30 minutes. Maybe you could offer your rooster turmeric? What’s his name?

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We take turmeric for inflammation. I mix it with coconut oil to make a paste. We can actually feel it working in about 30 minutes. Maybe you could offer your rooster turmeric? What’s his name?
Thanks for the great idea, I will try it. His name is Rizzo,

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You should maybe consider trying on backyardchickens.com there's probably more chicken people there :)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baymule is right. That looks like legs of chickens who spend the day out in the snow. Something's going on. You have to wait and see. Chickens are tough birds.