Rooster in need of help

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
It also just looks like a rooster that is sexually mature...that redness in the legs is usually due to increased hormones. What's the age of this rooster?

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well update, 🐓I decided to talk to my vet, she is so great to give me advice over the phone. She agreed though that he needed antibiotics since we were looking at over two weeks of dealing with this... so I took him in for her to see. She was also puzzled at the cause of his condition. He was not showing sigs of mites, (but out of concern a week ago I treated the coop and him for them) and she agreed it was not bumblefoot. So no answers on the cause behind the infection. She gave me antibiotics and treated him with a dewormer as a precaution. I have to keep him separate for a 10 day period before putting him back with the girls. But he is happy in the garage in his cage for now.

I will say though, I was treating his legs with the salve I mixed up, and it was less red yesterday than the previous day - but with the swelling and red line down his leg, she did not want to play around with the infection. She did not charge me much, love country vets. And I already see his swelling has gone down this morning. So very good news. 😁

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good news! I hope he continues to improve. Having been flogged by mean rooosters, giving rise to the epicurean delight of MEAN ROOSTER SOUP, having a nice rooster is worth a trip to the vet, all the care and love you can give him!

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He is worth it, I hand raised him, he was an offspring of my old roo (who was meaner than a bull) and my favorite hen. He luckily got the hens disposition not his dads 🤣 But even the vet was amazed at his gentle behavior despite being in pain. I am a sucker for almost any animal, but the old roo, Rufio, went bye bye as soon as this one was big enough to take on the chickens..