Rose of Sharon and Hibiscus

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I've searched every poisonous plant list (for livestock) that I can find and can't find either plant listed (they are related, so I'm assuming that if one is ok, the other would be, too).

If anyone has a listing that shows they are either safe or not, please let me know. I have goobermillions of the Rose of Sharon and some huge hibiscus I need to cut back, and would like to trim them / feed them to the goats.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Hibiscus is used in tea for people (the flower at least) and Fias Co Farm has it listed on their edible plant list. No personal experience here, though.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can tell you is that goats broke through a fence and leveled the hibiscus we had without any ill effects.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll start out small, of course. But we have 400 ROS that need cut back...I hate to waste it if the goats will taste it. :p

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Well. I did all that research and hard work and they ate a leaf here and there and just left it and wandered off to graze. :plbb

INGRATES! hmph!

:lol:

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I know my naughty goats love nibbling on my ROSs and no ill effects so far. Maybe fence them away from the trimmings and let them escape to eat them. Goats like "forbidden" food so much more than allowed food. :lol:

Okie Amazon

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That's the key. Tell your goats that the ROS's are your favorite plant and you'll just be heartbroken if they eat them! Voila! They become goat cavier!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Well. I did all that research and hard work and they ate a leaf here and there and just left it and wandered off to graze. :plbb

INGRATES! hmph!

:lol:
Yep, and if you didn't do your research and they found them appetizing, then you would worry. But that's an animal for you. :rolleyes: Oh well, at least you know about roses and what your goats think of them. :)

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Some of them ate it, some didn't. Wierdos.

I know they LOVE roses, they always snarf those right down. How they can eat those thorns like they're not there is beyond me.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Some of them ate it, some didn't. Wierdos.

I know they LOVE roses, they always snarf those right down. How they can eat those thorns like they're not there is beyond me.
X2 on the thorns. I still can't believe they can eat poison ivy.:)

Latest posts