Rosie's lambing thread: The wait is over! Welcome Rasputin!

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
congrats! Beautiful lil lamb

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been reading but haven't had time to post. Seems whenever I have time the site goes down!

anyway.....

CONGRATULATIONS!

Great job getting his nose cleared right away! :thumbsup
So happy to hear all went well, I knew it would! Now you can focus getting weight on Rosie and not have to worry about lambing issues :celebrate

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Little Ras is a week old. Any advice on how to bring up milk production? He gets milk yes, but she definitly isn't producing as much as she should be.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Best way would be to up her grain. Don't know if it's already in there but I'd consider adding some steamed/rolled oats... like oatmeal, not the instant stuff, but like Quaker old fashioned. Here I buy Oat groats, 50# bags to mix in my FF for the chickens. He's adorable! What a cutie!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are going to have to put more good feed into her in order to get more milk. She's wicked skinny and doesn't have a lot to spare. Can you get alfalfa hay?

That being said, the baby looks like he's getting enough. My concern would be mom and making sure she isn't getting the life sucked out of her.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, we can get Alfalfa hay. Im not sure from where but I know there is some around here. As you mentioned her body is working really hard to support him. She gets her grain, along with hay. She thankfully has put on a bit of weight, but like you said she needs more. We also are putting electrolytes in her water. As always thank you for the advice

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd feed her some alfalfa hay along with her regular hay. What kind of grain are you feeding? If possible, I'd feed a 16-18% protein sheep pellet mixed with some cracked corn. I'd try to get her up to at least a pound of grain a day.

Does she need the electrolytes? It doesn't hurt once in a while, but too frequently it can cause imbalances. I'd offer her free choice plain water and then once or twice a day some water with molasses in it for extra energy.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rosie is finally putting on some steady weight. She had remained the same for the past two weeks, and considering she also has to feed a lamb I was getting genuinely concerned for her health. She has been getting lots of food, so we were wondering why she wasn't putting on weight. I know these things do not happen overnight, so finally relieved to see her getting into shape. Anyways just in case she drys up early, we have milk replacer on standby which we have had to use a few times, but Ras is not a big fan of the bottle. Other than that he is doing great at two weeks old, he is healthy happy and driving our chickens crazy. :) Also I think he is polled, not signs of horns coming in. Is there a chance they can come in later?