Rough bald white spots and a calf that is not growing well

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok here is the scoop. Limo bull who is roughly 4 months old now. Has all his shots. Had one little white spot on his that the guy said was from a harness rubbing. Yea well now lots of white spots. Rough, scaley, kinda whitish grey, head and neck area, raised. Ring worm? I am not sure and our farm vet does not make house calls anymore and I have no way to haul him in. If I say its ring worm though he will trust me and give me the treatment.

I have no clue why he is not growing better. He is growing but its SLOW. Slower than it should be and there is nothing I can point out. He went from friendly and active to all of sudden not wanting to be touched and kinda sluggish. Not sure whats going on. Poo is good. Eating is good. Nothing I can really point out other than I know he should be growing better and he is acting kinda off. He gets good quality grain, gets the same hay we got the horses and goats. Really nice stuff. I do give alfalfa pellets too as a treat every other day. Every now and then I give them an apple too. He eats, poo is good, no dirty butt. Just not sure what the heck is going on. He is a bull calf and we are not castrating him so.... Give me some hints on what to look for. Considering running a fecal over to the vet while I ask for some ring worm meds ( if thats what it is).

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I would guess he has warts, but no clue as to growth.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like he's got ringworm, but that's not much to worry about. It's just a fungal skin condition that doesn't needs any meds except an iodine tincture that'll colour him up a bit. Other than that it'll clear up on its own.

Bull may need deworming, as that would reduce his growth. Get a fecal done on him to see what's wrong and what you can give him: ivomec, noromectin, bimectin, etc.

Are there any other symptoms he's expressing besides lethargy and reduced growth? Breathing abnormally, temperature above or below normal, etc?

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Everything else is normal. No coughing, discharge, cool nose. Honestly if you were not around him so much you probably would not even notice it. We know how he is though so the change is sudden and apparent. He is growing so I was not concerned until how he acted changed so much. I was following him around the pond today to catch him poo just to make sure no runs. Lovely I know. The weather does usually cause more parasites though. Fecal and then worming sounds like a good first step.

My dad is working himself into a lather trying to boost him up the last couple days. I am going to take a fecal in to the vet tomorrow. I have iodine at home already in my med box so I will paint him up a bit tomorrow.

redtailgal

Reaction score
make sure to get his coccidia levels when you get the fecal.

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It was ring worm btw AND he was not growing as fast because his heifer buddy is a big fat pig. I have pictures of a 9 month old jersey heifer who has no bones showing. We ended up having to find him a new home because he was trying to get frisky too young, the heifer was not ready to be red. At his new home he is already doing much better. I am slightly cutting my little heifers ration too. Not good for her to be obese and she could go there. So a bit of iodine and his own pasture, barn stall and no one to fight him for food has done wonders.