Rough Collie as LGD?

AlpacaEmployee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
carolinagirl said:
AlpacaEmployee said:
I like both herding breeds and LGDs, but I hate seeing them left outdoors without proper grooming. May just be what I've seen, but I just can't stand it.
Studies have shown that active working Anatolian shepherds actually live longer when they are working dogs than as house pets. They stay conditioned and toned.
Anatolian Shepherds don't have near the coat that a rough collie does. I wasn't talking about just being left outdoors (I have no problems with farm dogs living in the barn), I was talking about the lack of proper grooming. When a collie is blowing coat, they need brushed at least once a week. That doesn't happen.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
yeah I agree....I have seen some pretty nasty looking GPs too. Thick coats and no brushing don't go together very well, no matter what the breed.

KRYSTINA TOWNES

Just born
Reaction score
Are rough collies (like Lassie) a herding breed or a guardian?

I'm looking to add a good farm dog to my barn/house to deter predators and people and was thinking maybe a collie would be a good choice. I grew up with a very protective collie and think they might be a little more manageable than a pry or anatolian who likes to roam a large perimeter and may not be as people friendly, which is important here.

I need a dog who can be intimidating when needed, but friendly otherwise. I realize a collie probably wouldn't be much of a threat to a coyote, but, (praying) I have yet to have an issue with them and I've kept chickens/ducks for the past 7 years.

To be honest, I am feeling a little vulnerable too because with the economy where it is there are a lot of shady people coming around the area and several of my neighbors have had stuff stolen from their barns and sheds. Part of me thinks a pry would be such an awesome protector for me and the goats/birds, but I just don't know what to do...

Thanks for reading this and your advice, comments!

Christy

KRYSTINA TOWNES

Just born
Reaction score
I got a 14 week old full blood rough collie to help guard the chickens. The first thing he did was chase them. I tried to teach him not to. By the third day he killed one of our chickens.

KRYSTINA TOWNES

Just born
Reaction score
Are rough collies (like Lassie) a herding breed or a guardian?

I'm looking to add a good farm dog to my barn/house to deter predators and people and was thinking maybe a collie would be a good choice. I grew up with a very protective collie and think they might be a little more manageable than a pry or anatolian who likes to roam a large perimeter and may not be as people friendly, which is important here.

I need a dog who can be intimidating when needed, but friendly otherwise. I realize a collie probably wouldn't be much of a threat to a coyote, but, (praying) I have yet to have an issue with them and I've kept chickens/ducks for the past 7 years.

To be honest, I am feeling a little vulnerable too because with the economy where it is there are a lot of shady people coming around the area and several of my neighbors have had stuff stolen from their barns and sheds. Part of me thinks a pry would be such an awesome protector for me and the goats/birds, but I just don't know what to do...

Thanks for reading this and your advice, comments!

Christy

KRYSTINA TOWNES

Just born
Reaction score
I brought home a full blood rough collie puppy to help Herd the chickens. First thing he did was start to chase them . I would disapline him and chain him up every time he did this. By day three he had killed one of our chickens .

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lassie type collie usually does not have much eye, so not as bothersome to chase stock as say a Border collie. They are more of a drover dog like the German Shepherd. These dogs were used to drive herds between high walled fields along road. But, I would not leave anything but a LGD penned with livestock myself.

Find someone who has LGD and in same conditions you want yours to be and buy from them. By that I mean if their LGD are laid back around people, etc.... A GP or a GP crossed with another LGD breed is probably best fit for you being a first timer unless someone is close by to help mentor you with other breeds.

However, a LGD is a great judge of character and intent. Listen to them! My dogs were lovely with folks as long as I was with them, it was daylight, and they were not making livestock run screaming (do not let children 'play' rough with livestock!) Often we had folks on the place who reated our tobacco and were coming and going. Once dogs were introduced and people went to field the dogs ignored them. Our goat pen bordered the road and more than once I arrived home to find strangers in the barnlot, with children in tow 'petting' the goats. The LGD just lay there with long suffering looks and allowed. BUT, nobody was trying to catch a goat, make it scream, etc...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I brought home a full blood rough collie puppy to help Herd the chickens. First thing he did was start to chase them . I would disapline him and chain him up every time he did this. By day three he had killed one of our chickens .
He is a puppy. Chickens are the ultimate squeaky toy. When they stop moving, just catch another. Great game, except it makes us mad.

Are the chickens in a fenced area where your puppy can be where the coop is? I would suggest to not let the chickens out, take him in the coop, spend time and patience with him. Praise him when he behaves himself, scold if he gets too "interested" in the chickens. If the coop is in his yard, they will be protected until he gets a little older and doesn't want to play with them so much.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is a puppy. Chickens are the ultimate squeaky toy. When they stop moving, just catch another. Great game, except it makes us mad.

Are the chickens in a fenced area where your puppy can be where the coop is? I would suggest to not let the chickens out, take him in the coop, spend time and patience with him. Praise him when he behaves himself, scold if he gets too "interested" in the chickens. If the coop is in his yard, they will be protected until he gets a little older and doesn't want to play with them so much.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score