Round Bales vs. Square Bales?

Rvrfshr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Would like to get opinions on feeding hay.

In the winter I feed my sheep square bales of bermuda hay. The waste is great as they foul the hay that they pull out of my rick and trample on it.

Round bales are cheaper for me but I do not have the kind of storage for them as I do for square bales.

I'd like to know if sheep will eat bad hay that has been out in the rain and weather, and if bad hay will cause health problems.

Was thinking about erecting an open 6' x 7' frame structure using 4x4's and a roof over it, and using field wire placed around a round bale and secured with bungee cords that can be adjusted as the bale is consumed. I would elevate the bale approx. 4" off the ground to avoid spoilage on the bottom of the bale.

Any ideas or tips on this approach?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
We feed square bales. We also put the hay in feeders. One year, we made a make-shift hay feeder with unused gates. With round bales, you need a tractor to move them. Sheep will only eat bad hay if there's nothing left for them to eat.

How many sheep are you feeding? Are you putting the hay in feeders?

Rvrfshr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
We feed square bales. We also put the hay in feeders. One year, we made a make-shift hay feeder with unused gates. With round bales, you need a tractor to move them. Sheep will only eat bad hay if there's nothing left for them to eat.

How many sheep are you feeding? Are you putting the hay in feeders?
At the present time my herd is at 10 animals of varying ages. I used modified pallets to build hay feeders. They work fine, but there is a lot of waste and I do not put more than a days worth of hay into them at any one time becuase of weather changes, waste and possible spoilage.

I can buy round bales (5'x6') of 2nd cutting bermuda grass hay for $25.. Much better than the $2.50 per bale ($3-4 in the winter) for square bales.

Don't have a real farm tractor but do have a utility trailer that will accommodate a single round bale. The trailer has a tilt feature which would allow me to roll a bale of hay off of it. I plan on storing the hay where it will be fed, and denying access to stored bales until others are used up or not suitable for feed any more.

My biggest concern about round bales is how long can they be used. I see that local cattle ranchers nearby leave a bale out in all kinds of weather with an iron ring around it to prevent wastage and fouling. Not having any experience with round bales, I am more concerned with my sheep getting "bad hay" and becoming ill.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Rounds bales are not real great with Sheep and Goats unless you can keep in a feeder. My neighbor has been bringing me round bales for a really good price. The sheep and goats, climb in and dig to get to the middle (the good stuff). They then sleep in the rest of it. And once they walk on it or lay on it, they are not eatting it. We now have a round bale feeder that is meant for sheep and goats. They are wasting very little. The horse, just eat from the top of the feeder.

Rvrfshr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses (SheepGirl & ThreeBoysChicks)

Does the field wire idea sound feasible? I have some on hand and would prefer using what I have vs. buying more equipment.

Rvrfshr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is sort of what I had in mind, but would add 4x4 corners, a roof and field fence around the bale.

4643_hayshed.jpg

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know people who rig their round bales like this for their sheep and it works okay. I did something similar for my square bales...just placed a cattle panel on the front of the stack in the barn and kept it tight with bungee cords...the sheep fed themselves, there was very little waste and I didn't lift a bale all season. I was immensely pleased with the experiment and would use it again.

Here's a pic:

82_sheep_shelter_puppies_sheep_017.jpg

And a pic of it being used:

82_sheep_shelter_puppies_sheep_046.jpg

Rvrfshr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks B, This gives me ideas on how to accomplish using the round bales.

Cutting the labor out of feeding the hay appeals to me, but I enjoy my time amongst my flock so I would probably have to inspect it a couple of times a day. :/

We're now at a size flock where we have choices for which animals to keep for breeders and which to sell or put in the freezer.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I'm currently feeding round bales and while it's more labor intensive for me than square bales, it's also SOO much cheaper. I get a good deal on hay since I buy from a farm where I used to work, so a 1200lb round bale is only $40. Since we dont' have a tractor, we have to use a system where we tie a strap around the bale, and slide it off the trailer (using another vehicle to anchor it, or a tree if possible). We set it on pallets, cover it w/ a tarp, and then fork the hay off it to feed. I would love to be able to just put it out in the pasture and wrap it w/ cattle panels, but right now we just don't have a good place to do that. Plus, a 1200 lb round bale will last me 2 months, and by that time it would mold if left out in the rain. The last one I fed ended up having about 1/8th or so of waste, since it got wet and molded. Still, if you take into account how cheap round bales are compared to square bales, it makes it worth while.

Rvrfshr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I'm currently feeding round bales and while it's more labor intensive for me than square bales, it's also SOO much cheaper. I get a good deal on hay since I buy from a farm where I used to work, so a 1200lb round bale is only $40. Since we dont' have a tractor, we have to use a system where we tie a strap around the bale, and slide it off the trailer (using another vehicle to anchor it, or a tree if possible). We set it on pallets, cover it w/ a tarp, and then fork the hay off it to feed. I would love to be able to just put it out in the pasture and wrap it w/ cattle panels, but right now we just don't have a good place to do that. Plus, a 1200 lb round bale will last me 2 months, and by that time it would mold if left out in the rain. The last one I fed ended up having about 1/8th or so of waste, since it got wet and molded. Still, if you take into account how cheap round bales are compared to square bales, it makes it worth while.
Hi Aggie,

How many animals are you feeding off this 1200# bale?