Roving's 2016 Lambs

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Now it's spotty lamb time. A first timer gave me a little ram lamb on Friday and then I woke up to twins this morning. Forgive the weird lighting and phone pics, my barn is dark.

Bramble and her little ram. He got his head wedged in her pelvis so I had to help pull him. He spent a few minutes not wanting to breathe but once he got going he stood right up and started nursing.

Aster's two, a little ewe on top and a good sized ram on bottom. Aster likes to have lambs in weird places (she pushed them out right into a water trough last year) so the ewe ended up getting a foot stuck under a piece of wood and getting chilled. I warmed her up and tubed her some colostrum and she seems fine now.

I had a lot of issues with lambs from my last jacob ram so I'm really happy with how these ones from my new ram are turning out. They're very active and vigorous right away and I'm not having any more premature lambs, thank goodness.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice lambs and glad you were there for the single! I still have three weeks at least...

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
I'm up to 11 lambs now I think? Three romeldales, a cormo and 7 jacobs. Still have a cormo and two jacob ewes left to lamb and I will be very glad to be done with night time barn checks. Everyone was supposed to be due within a week of each other but they sure are dragging them out.

It was a sunny, if not particularly warm, day so I kicked everyone who was more than a day old outside to stretch their legs.

Big baby romeldales

Little baby romeldale, her mom got very sick a few weeks back and didn't have any milk so I'm supplementing her with bottles for now.

Cormo ewe who looks like a little cow

So many spotty little jacob lambs

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm a goatie - but that little Cormo/Holstein lamb is (almost) the cutest thing I've ever seen!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Don't know a lot about sheep, but those spotted lambs are cute! How do they taste? :hide Sorry... my entire experience with lamb is cooked, and I love the taste.

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Jacobs are delicious actually. Last year I pulled a 3 year old ram out of breeding groups and sent him straight to the freezer and he was the most amazing "lamb" I've ever had. They don't get real big, real fast but the flavor is excellent and it's lean and tender. Plus you can sell the skulls and pelts for more value added products. People go crazy for the big 4 horned skulls.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not only are your lambs super cute, but I'm jealous of your sun! We had snow all day today! Luckily it melted almost as soon as it hit the ground, but kept me from doing much outside. The sheep were quite happy with the cold weather, though.