Roving's 2017 Lambing Thread

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
This year's lambing started out a little rough. One of my romeldales went first and had a lovely pair of ram/ewe twins. A white ewe and a nicely patterned ram. Unfortunately within about 12 hours I noticed the ram straining to poop and when I went to give him an enema to move things along I found out there wasn't anything there. He had something called atersia ani, where the animal just never develops an anus. The vet explained that surgery to correct the problem has a high failure rate and they often have other abnormalities as well so the best thing to do was to have him euthanized. The vet said it was a rare issue and we are very unlikely to ever see it again and I sure hope so.

The ewe lamb is perfectly fine and growing like a weed as a single now. She is wild and crazy and tears around the pasture with all the adults like it's no big deal.

The jacobs started lambing this morning and so far it has been much less eventful. Two sets of twins born early this morning, a pair of ewes and a pair of rams.

One of the boys, this one has a big O on both sides of him.

The other boy, who keeps wandering off in search of adventure.

I really like this girl, she's so cute! Her sister was crashed out in a pile of hay and I didn't want to risk waking her up for pictures.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry about the lamb without an anus :( I keep hearing about that and it breaks my heart. But so glad the others are doing well. I love those little spotted lambs so much!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh wow, sorry about the ram. I've heard about that condition but never seen it.

Nice patterns on the Jacobs!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Grats on the healthy lambs, sorry for the one lost. They sure are cute!

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Paper got done, time for some more lamb pictures. I'm up to 11 lambs with 5-8 ewes left to go. I'm excited about how nice my little jacobs are turning out because I'm going to the Jacob Sheep Breeders Association annual general meeting this year and I'm hoping to bring some sheep to show and sell. My favorite ewes haven't even lambed yet!

Twin rams

Twin ewes

Ram/ewe twins

A big single ram to a first timer. Another first timer had a single ewe but she didn't want to pose for me.

Another ewe had a normal sized stillborn lamb and a little 2.5 lb premie that I was pretty sure I was going to lose. Jacobs are fighters though and she has gained a whole pound and seems to be developing normally at this point. Still not out of the woods but doing well.

And this morning we had a big single cvm romeldale ewe lamb born. The dam has developed some dental problems and it's hard work to keep weight on her so I'm glad A. she only had a single to feed and B. it was a girl to replace her.