1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Lumps and eye problems - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Roving's 2019 Lambs

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Young Sheep' started by Roving Jacobs, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Apr 4, 2019
    Roving Jacobs

Roving Jacobs Seeing Spots

5 days, 13 ewes, 16 lambs, and I'm done for the month. I've got a goat due later in the month because goats don't abide by anyone's schedules and 3 ewes that cycled again and are due in May but otherwise that's it. Way more singles this year than usual but I didn't flush and nearly half my breeding ewes were lambing for the first time so not too surprising. I realized a couple years back that almost all my breeding ewes were 7+ years old and I had to start keeping back some youngsters.

Overall I'm very happy with my sheepies! The ones I needed girls from gave me girls and the ones I needed boys from gave me boys. The jacob sheep association annual general meeting is only a couple hours away from me this year so I'm hoping to have everyone in tip top shape to sell there in July and do some showing as well.

I took a ton of pictures before docking tails yesterday but I'll try to spread them out a bit to not dump everyone on y'all at once. Starting with the spotty ones!

I'm calling this little ewe Kiwi. Her mom Katelyn came from NC and this is her first lamb. She's such a goofy, sweet, friendly baby and she'll probably be staying. Her face looks silly sometimes because she sucks her tongue.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Juniper's girl with her Tom Selleck mustache. Juni will be retiring this year but I kept back a ewe from her last year so mustache here will probably be sold unless she blows me away as she matures and I sell the yearling instead.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daisy's girl. Daisy is also retiring most likely so this one is a keeper. She's the youngest of the jacob lambs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Apr 4, 2019
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

I always look forward to your lambing thread.
    Having had a few Jacobs, they really are an interesting breed.
    Your lambs, as always are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!
    :love:love:love

I love the Jacobs wool, perfect for rugged outdoor wear!

3. Apr 4, 2019
    SA Farm

SA Farm True BYH Addict

Such adorable lambs :love I look forward to more pictures :pop

4. Apr 4, 2019
    Roving Jacobs

Jewel is Clementine's mom. This year they were both in labor at the same time and lambed at the same time and although I made sure everyone got bonded to the right mama they're raising them in a big commune. All girls!
    [​IMG]

Clem's girl, she's got a cute heart shaped knee patch.
    [​IMG]

Jewel's girls, one has black boots on and the other has a black dipped tail like a dipstick. Boots is trouble, I already had to saw a hole in a wall to retrieve her and she's only 5 days old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Apr 4, 2019
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

All great pictures!

B&B Happy goats and SA Farm like this.
  6. Apr 4, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

What smoochy little faces! How do you keep from holding and hugging them all day?

B&B Happy goats and SA Farm like this.
  7. Apr 5, 2019
    Roving Jacobs

A LOT of time is spent cuddling baby lambs!

Aster's ewe
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aster's ram
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ladyslipper's ram. There were only 2 jacob rams in this batch and both are 2 horned I'm pretty sure.
    [​IMG]

B&B Happy goats, SA Farm and Mike CHS like this.
  8. Apr 5, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I always love your lambing thread.

SA Farm likes this.
  9. Apr 5, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I clicked on your FB link and then started liking your posts! Then I clicked on our Etsy page and I am blown away by all the beautiful yarns! I never learned to knit or crochet but your beautiful yarns make me want to learn.

SA Farm likes this.
  10. Apr 5, 2019
    Roving Jacobs

I actually don't know how to knit or crochet either! I keep the sheep alive and get the wool off of them then hand it over to my mom who gets it ready, sends it to the mills, dyes it, and sells it. She's amazing! There's actually not a ton on our etsy right now because we sold most of our jacob yarns to participants in the Livestock Conservancy's Shave 'Em to Save 'Em rare breed wool promotion. We've got a lot more at the mill being spun but it takes a long time to get back.

Here's some cormos and cormo/romeldale crosses.
    Petitfour's ewe lamb, the only cormo ewe lamb!
    [​IMG]

Valkyrie's massive 13.5 lb cormo/romeldale ram. I've got 4 very similar white boys that have temporary lamb tags so I can tell them apart.
    [​IMG]

Maddie the cormo and her boy
    [​IMG]