Royal White Sheep

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would like to have some discussion on this breed of sheep. Several times over the past years, I have raised Dorset sheep and really liked them. I am once again looking to get some sheep. I have thought about getting a hair breed sheep but am still comtemplating which breed. Does anyone have experience with hair breed sheep especially the Royal Whites. Does anyone have lambs available? I don't mind if they are orphaned and need to be bottle fed. Thanks.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well, personally I prefer a bit more colour!

damaras.jpg

These are Damara sheep - my breed of choice. They are discussed here (detailed info at the bottom of the first page):

http://backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1216

Damaras I believe are in Canada but not US. If I were in the US I'd be breeding Katahdin, and I believe they offer some distinct advantages over the Damaras - but, we dont have Katahdin here.

Just watch the temperament - hair breeds on whole dont tend to have as steady and mellow temper as woolly breeds. Particularly Dorpers can get rather mean.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
The fellow off whom I bought my Katahdin/St. Croix sheep is getting a RW buck to start breeding over his flock. One buck costs $900!!! He got a bargain of a young weanling buck for $250. I've heard good things about the breed and would definitely like to try some of those characteristics.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is some more info on the Royal White breed of hair sheep:

http://www.royalwhitesheep.biz/

http://www.reedfarms.com/Lambs.html

ABOUT THE BREED:
Royal White is a new breed of sheep. The first new sheep breed in the United States in the last 20 years. The breed was developed by William Hoag.

Royal White Sheep are:

Pure hair sheep
Attractive
pristine white
naturally polled
height to weight proportionate
brown eyed

Easy care
no shearing
no docking
less labor involved
easy shippers

Disease and parasite resistant
Climate adaptable
Intelligent
non flighty
docile

excellent flocking instincts
low stress
excellent mothering abilities

Prolific
year round breeders
lamb easily
multiple births
high lamb survivability
longevity

Hardy
quick growth
early to mature
Non selective grazers and browsers

Medium Size
Rams are 185 to 250 lbs.
Ewes are 145 to 185 lbs.

Meat sheep
mild
tender
lean
easy to market

Producers of leather
superior garment leather
Royal White Sheep fits the farming and ranching needs ranging from small acres to large sections of land. They are a great way to diversify any farm or ranch operation. They work well as part of a weed and brush control program.

Royal White Sheep Finest Pure Hair Sheep