RPC~ Picture of our 4-H wether

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
I am in North eastern Indiana, We have all 4 seasons so it can be 110 degrees in the summer but that's extreme, -10 in the winter also extreme, then super wet in the fall and spring. But I like having all the seasons even though I am not
much for the cold.

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
I am single and loving every minute of it. I don't have to answer to anyone and I can do what I want when I want and not worry about anyone. My parents are divorced and remarried. I have 2 biological sisters, 2 step sisters, and 3 step brothers. I also have 5 nieces and 3 nephews and there are still 4 of us that have not had kids so I come from a big family.
3. How would you define your farm?
I was born and raised on a hobby farm and I have a hobby farm. The only reason we have goats is for my nieces and one day nephew's 4-H projects. I pay for everything and then they show them and each sell 1 market animal at the fair and that money going into their college savings account. After 3 years they have to pay for their market animal but i never charge them the real amount. Last year I paid 125 for Taylor's market doe and charged her 75. I just want them to not have to worry much for college plus 4-H teaches kids so much. They are all city kids so it is really important for me to teach them what work and responsibility are.
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
Not much different then what I do now. Maybe travel more and see things I have not seen yet.
5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?
Yes I have helped build 3 barns but I would not say I could do it on my own. I won't lie I am not a handy man but I get by.
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
I took welding in high school so I know how to do some but I am no pro. I just did stick mainly.
7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
Both my parents inspired me. I have always been taught to work hard and I have always had a love for animals and the out doors.
8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?
Just a hobby I have lost more money then I think I will ever make out of it.
9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?
I know cattle and pigs pretty well. I am learning more everyday with these goats but I am always wondering what I can fix to make them better. I think we are getting better each year.
10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?
Crops, I think they are so boring. Also Sheep sorry all you sheep people but my sisters had sheep for 4-H and they were so dumb. They would repeatedly run into the wall thinking they could get away and all you had to do was stand and watch.
11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?
Not really, again we are just in it for 4-H
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
I never have time to sink into myself.
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
I can drive a tractor but have never tried to drive a semi.
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
Nope
15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
Yes we can have any form of livestock. We have goats at my house and cattle at my dads.
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
nope
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
I hate to garden
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
Once in a blue moon, I don't have the patients to sit there and wait for one to bite.
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?
5 acres and its in the country.
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed?
Tech I would say. We are still learning but have all the basics down.
21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
Feeding, I have always liked to learn hoe to feed different types of animals, How to make the muscle pop, how to add fat to an overly extreme hog or get the right bloom on a show doe.
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
I dont know
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
Nope
24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?
nope
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
Well I would have to stay close to family so if they could come I really like Tenn. They still have seasons but it is usually milder then up here. I would also like to be up in the hills.
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
no
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
Never really thought of it.
28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?
Some what
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
A little every once in a while i get in the mood. Sure
30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?
Winning overall dairy beef showmanship and going into our supreme showmanship contest. I was the only person in my family that ever won showmanship. Worst was when I get kicked in the Hoo-Hoo's while I was working the cattle (tagging, worming, and cutting bulls). I have never really had any horrible thing happen on the farm. I mean animals have died but not many and normally there was a reason that we saw coming.
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
No
32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?
None
33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?
I do not.
34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to?
No we don't but i am always up for saving money.
35 What is on your to do list?
Buy house is number 1, Buy a truck is number 2.
36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?
nope
37. In what do you trust?
I trust in God and my family (for the most part).
38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?
Some times
39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?
Yes I have a routine everyday with chores and that shapes how my day is going to go. Also when I have had a hard day it is always nice to go to the barn and work it out.

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well I cannot guarantee this will be interesting, or that I will update it all that often since I don't have a huge farm most daily things are normal chore. If anyone has any questions about me or our hobby farm just let me know.
Today was the warmest it has been so far. We got up into the 60's. Over night we had a monsoon like storm. I woke up to what looked like a creek running threw our back yard and field which is not normally there. Tomorrow is supposed to back in the 40's then 60's again Friday. I did hear maybe snow this weekend. This has been a weird winter.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
A weird winter indeed.

I think it's really commendable what you are doing for your nieces and nephews.

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Looking forward to reading your journal, even if you don't post a lot it is still fun to learn and read about other people's "farm life" :)

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well thank eleven my nieces and nephews are pretty special. One day I want kids but right not I love being an uncle.

Today was pretty much a usual day. Got up at 6:45 and did chores. Worked 8-4:30 with not much excitement, then hurried home to do chores and take a shower. Tonight I went to the home and garden show at the coliseum. I like to go every year to look at different things to do with the landscaping at home. Tomorrow I have to get off work 30 minutes early and head to one of the area high schools. I was asked to be a judge for the district FFA contests. I am going to be a food science judge. We will see how that goes, I really hope all the food tastes good.

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh man I didn't even think about that. What I did think about though is. Tomorrow sunny and in the 60's.... Me working all day(starting at 8a.m.) inside looking out the windows then going straight to a high school and sitting inside looking out the windows till like 10 p.m. Not super excited about that part.

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well I woke up feeling good so I guess no food poisoning. LOL There were some good demonstrations, some not so good then one AWESOME one. The good one was about how we burn sugar for energy and they used a gummy bear and burnt all the sugar out of it it was really cool. I didn't leave the high school till 11p.m. last night so it was a really long day. Today I want to finish cleaning out a pen, and band Bonequiqui. I really think that if we would have another boy born he would be staying a buck but we are going to band him and make him into an awesome show wether for my niece. It is about time to wean and this will be interesting. Normally I just take the does over to my dads house but it is to crappy to do that right now so I am just putting the babies in the next pen over which will make for 2 times the amount of screaming and I am not looking forward to that. I also might leave Cindy and Storm with their dams for a few more weeks since they are smaller. Today we are going to weight the 4 smaller ones also. Well I hope everyone has a great day and stays safe from these storms. I still have a friend that I have not gotten intouch with. She bought my buck Calibers twin. I hope Ruger and Sarah are fine just without power right now.

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well since it is a little to windy to clean the pen out right now I decided to take some updated pictures of the kids.
Cindy
100_1038-1.jpg

Doesn't Cindy totally have Paintball's butt
100_1053-1.jpg

Bonequiqui
100_1029-1.jpg

He also has Paintball's butt. I am sad he is getting banded today.
100_1032-1.jpg

Storm
100_1030-1.jpg

Marsha
100_1045-1.jpg

Jan
100_1049-1.jpg

Caliber
100_1031-1.jpg

Cookie Dough
100_1034-1.jpg