Rumensin

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just curious if there are any pros or cons to using this product. I just bought a feed to give to my buck that has AC and rumensin in it. He is kinda hunched up like he maybe trying to get a kidney stone. And i thought the AC would help prevent it. He is still eating like a pig. But the signs are there. He has been dewormed and his eyes are pink so i dont think it is worms. I had some ammonium chloride at one time but we moved and i havent been able to find it, nor can i get any of it from my farm store or my vet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA☺

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
The AC in the feed will help prevent UC, it doesn't contain enough to treat UC.

The rumensin is for cocci prevention, this is usually fed to kids as they are at a higher risk of getting cocci. He probably doesn't need the cocci med, but it shouldn't hurt him. I'm not a fan of giving/feeding unnecessary medications, but if this is the only option he should be fine. Remember to change the feed SLOWLY!

What feed did you have him on? Do you know the CA: P ratio? What (if any) treats does he get? Any BOSS? What feed are you going to give now? Ca: P ratio? Are you feeding baking soda?

Look at your hay too. Often times people only look at grain as the cause of UC but that isn't always the case.

We are in NC and I can get several feeds that don't contain rumensin but still have AC & is balanced. Bartlett and Noble goat are good.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They have been on whole oats. No BOSS they dont seem to like it. Didnt know i needed baking soda. Grass hay. They get vitamin c tabets is their treat. The feed was my only option. I may just feed this one bag and try to find another option. Just didnt know much about rumensin. Still learnin.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You didn't say, but I trust you are providing the goat(s) with free choice loose (NOT a block) minerals? If so, most of those have AC in them as well.

You don't need to feed them baking soda... Some offer it free choice and the goats use it when they need it (upset tummy/rumin) however it counteracts the AC so defeats its purpose, therefore, some say NOT to have it available free choice. :hu

IMHO, & I don't own my goats yet, if they are only using it when they need it, then it countering the AC should not be much of an issue. On the other hand if they need it and it's not there, it's not like they can come up and ask you for some, and then you may have to deal with a case of bloat... But if you're a hands on owner, you'd probably figure that there was something wrong before it got to that point. :hu

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes they are checked from head to toe everyday. I spend about an hr/day with them. I do have mineral out for them. But the one i got didnt have the AC in it. Hopefully I can find one with it. Do u think it will be ok to top dress with the feed for the boys? I dont think he has one yet just want to prevent.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Top dressing the food should be fine. :)

Glad to see you aren't giving the BOSS- it can be very harmful to bucks and wethers.

I asked about for the baking soda for the reason above. People feed AC, and then feed baking soda, and wonder why the AC isn't working :rolleyes:

The biggest issue is looking that the CA: P ratio. Your buck really shouldn't be getting stones unless there is an imbalance.

If you cannot find another feed, I wouldn't worry about the rumensin. I know a lot of folks that leave their bucks on medicated feed.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are feeding straight whole oats?

And do you know what kind of grass the hay is?

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was feeding him whole oats. I was told that my wethers needed to be on them because they had already had UC and that would keep them from getting them so much since they had been prone to getting them. So thats why he is on them. Cause I was hoping to have the same effect. He hasnt gotten them yet he was hunched up like he maybe getting one. So that is why i got this feed to hopefully prevent them. Dont think im gross....but i felt underneath to see if i could feel one and didnt. When my wethers had them the vet felt down there and could feel the stone. And he had me feel so i would know in the future i they had one. Gosh that sounds horrible. Lol

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You are feeding straight whole oats?

And do you know what kind of grass the hay is?

Yes a 10% crude protein whole oat. The hay just looks like a grass hay. It smelled really good. Kinda sweet smelling. It may have a little orchard in it.