Run away rabbits?

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I have three rabbits (hopefully keeping the third which is one of the babies) but today the baby got out and I literally chased her to and from so she wouldnt go to the street for 10 minutes! She currently lives in a hutch that is inside of my run as well! Can I do anything to calm her down so she will just stay put? Same thing with my adult rabbits although generally if my doe heres me say HEY or whatever, she usually turns around. Both of the girls are white so I don't want them to stray too far either. What can I do other than a harness? Clicker train?

crazyturkeydesigns

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hm, never heard of anyone using clicker training for rabbits, but I haven't looked a whole lot into training rabbits. She may have spooked because she's little; I had a young buck quite a few years ago who was super promising and he got out of his cage while I was feeding him. I've never seen a rabbit run so fast in my life. It's hard chasing a rabbit because once it gets out and you go after it you sort of become the predator, especially if it's a rabbit that doesn't trust you yet or spooks easily. We did manage to catch him, but when I grabbed him he screamed. I can't imagine how scared he must have been to have reacted as he did. He was okay, wasn't hurt or anything, but he wasn't really the same after that. So, imo of what her best interests are, I'd keep her inside a hutch/enclosed run for now.
I have done a little bit of reading up on "rabbit speak" and rabbits have a "very sophisticated" social structure (when applicable) and language. If I find the link I'll post it but I imagine it wouldn't be hard to find. Something like that may help somewhat in making her more comfortable.

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well the baby ran because she has always been in the run/hutch and she's just a nut overall. My doe (my buck does run away too but hes slow :p) usually listens to me overall. I'm not sure, but since she's really smart, i do want to teach her how to do tricks, etc. thru clicker training.

Latest posts