Runner Duck question...?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I ran into a comment on a Youtube channel that someone said they loved their runner ducks and that they had amazing (or was it 'best'?) egg production.

I was a bit surprised by this. I hadn't known runners could get egg production that was any good.

I'm curious though, and wanted to ask if it has to be a specific type of runner to get the egg production? What do you think?

(There are so many kinds of runners; blue runner, black runners, white & fawn etc...)

And it seems like what they quote on paper isn't always the case. I'd prefer to bounce this off people that have actually tried them.

4 little chickens

Just born
Reaction score
i do not know anything about ducks but come to Back yard chickens there are so many people on there that know stuff about ducks i am 4 little chickens on BYC

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I loved my runner ducks and they laid daily. Finding where they laid in a free range situation was the hard part, but the hens even went broody a couple of times spring and summer, which they say is not common for the breed any longer.

I've had mallards, Pekin, muscovey, KC and runners but out of all of those I loved the runners the best. Gentle and sweet, quirky and smart, quiet and excellent foragers.