Running cows after pigs

Stacyhoney

Just born
Reaction score
Hi! How long should you wait to run cows on a pasture you have recently ran pigs on? Google talks about pathogens from pigs that could potentially kill cattle...true or not?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure what pathogens you are talking about. Once hogs have been on pasture, there is going to be some amount of damage from rooting. Unless the hogs are ringed and run through there fairly fast, the pasture is really going to need some work. Tilling or at least dragging. Holes should have to be fixed. If the hogs do much rooting, the pasture will be less usable.
Lepto is the biggest problem with feral hogs. "They say" that it is not transferable between species. But is a fact that since feral hogs have gotten to be so bad in Texas and other states, the incidence of lepto in cattle has skyrocketed. Lepto causes abortion, breeding problems, cattle just not "doing good".
Please elaborate on what pathogens you are referencing.

Stacyhoney

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info!
This is what we are trying to do...
We bought a cow to harvest but thought we should fatten him up a bit first. The only available pen we have is a temporary pig pen that we just moved our pigs from about 2 weeks ago. I did a quick Google search to make sure it was safe and one article talked about pathogens affecting the cattle (in a way much like you mentioned with breeding) but I can't find the article now of course. We won't be breeding him and I Don't think he will be with us long but obviously don't want him to get sick either.
I would very gladly take any advice or tips you have as this will be our first cow but hopefully not our last and Google is little help lol. Tia!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This might help you.

I put a steer in my pig pasture. It wasn’t really a pasture, just dirt and trees. Goldie ate two round bales of hay and was fed twice daily. He was in there 6 or 7 months.

My pigs were wormed, Goldie was wormed when he went in the pen, no bad effects from anything the pigs may have had.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like you need to be overly concerned. Read @Baymule 's thread. A worming for the steer is probably the best thing to do as it will prevent him going in with any problems. How much "pasture " is there in there for him to eat? Will you be mostly feeding grain and or hay?
I don't think it should be a problem. "Tame ", domestic hogs are less likely to carry some of the problems that feral hogs do, simply because people tend to try to make sure they are healthy and they are not roaming all over being exposed to everything under the sun all over the country. If he is healthy to start with it is unlikely you will encounter any big problems.