Runny eye - month old baby?

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a baby that is about a month old who, once I get him weaned, will have a home ready but there is something wrong with one of his eyes. Its a little differently shaped (not really shaped, but really the look/how its opened) and its always wet around it. I read that this could be a runny eye, but there is no pus or redness, although its also not going away. I want to make sure he will be ok. what can I do? My grandma suggested some herbs/tea (I really dont know how to translate from our other language) over the eye and just dap it a little to help sooth it. I will probably try this and see how it works (its not medicine or anything like that, so I dont see the problem) but what else can I do?

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
update - now I see three with this problem and they have boogers in the corner of their eye. I'm going to sooth it later and see if that helps but will it go away in time? Could it be that they got shavings in their eye (they had it for when they were still young, took it out yesterday)?

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That sounds like it. Im going to give camomile a try.. do you have any suggestions about how I should separate the three? They are all out in the run with the mom for the day, but I have a separate cage I can put them in (should i separate them in there too?). I dont want it to spread because I think it did spread to the other two from the grey and white one, but I cant not let them go back for feedings either.

crazyturkeydesigns

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'd put the three in a separate cage (disinfect it before you put em in and after you take them out) and treat them in that cage. As long as you make sure there's no cross contamination you should be fine. I wouldn't separate them further unless one rabbit gets worse. Do not, however put them back in with others until you are sure the weepy eye is gone (usually 3/4 days). I'd keep them separated for an extra day or 3 just to make extra sure.

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's what i was thinking. Should I keep them away from the other kits/mom at night as well? Theyre already seperated, just unsure of how I should feed them? Should I take the mom out around feeding time and let them suckle for a minute and put her back, and do the same in the morning?

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Is getting dark now so Im going to take the doe out to the three infected ones and let them feed for a bit, and do the same in the morning. Hopefully they'll do ok.

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If it's snuffles related, chances are that the mom passed it to the kits and all the kits are exposed. It's believed that most rabbits have been exposed and/or harbor it, and that those with strong immune systems just remain outwardly symptom free, while those with weaker immune systems show outward symptoms. Kits lose mom's immunity and begin developing their own fragile immune systems at around 4 weeks old...making kits at 4-8 weeks old the most prone to develop issues while their immune systems become stronger. Good luck with your bun.

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Definitely not snuffles, its only the one eye that is a problem.

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Snuffles and similar very often presents in only 1 eye.