Runny nose

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ever since we got back from the show, our ram lamb has had a runny nose, and is not eating much of his grain. Not sure whats wrong, he seems fine other then that. Anything I should watch out for? does he need extra minerals or vitamins? a drench? Usually he is a grain hog, which is why I'm concerned :hu

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd go for nasal bots ...though upper respiratory infection, mycoplasma etc can all do the same. Nasal bots can be treated with ivermectin, closantel etc.

Just a little info. to make everyone squirm....bot fly is transmissible to humans, but, thank heavens , is very rare.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That would be occasionally.... ;) During the hottest parts of the summer is when bot fly is more prevalent in sheep and it causes their nose to run, causes them to blow their nose occasionally to get that drainage and that irritant out of their nose.

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/livestock-parasites/nasal-bots-sheep
It can happen over night??? He hasn't sneezed yet today....ugh this topic grosses me out. He never had problems before we left, nor did he the night we got home :(

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'd go for nasal bots ...though upper respiratory infection, mycoplasma etc can all do the same. Nasal bots can be treated with ivermectin, closantel etc.

Just a little info. to make everyone squirm....bot fly is transmissible to humans, but, thank heavens , is very rare.
Would valbazen work? that's all i have at home right now

Latest posts