Runny nose

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
It can happen over night??? He hasn't sneezed yet today....ugh this topic grosses me out. He never had problems before we left, nor did he the night we got home :(

Well, the symptoms of runny nose can seem to happen overnight, as the maggot starts to migrate through the sinus passages and irritating the mucosa there.

My sheep got them one drought stricken summer...that went on for a number of days before I researched the symptoms, probable causes and decided what to do for it. Not the prescribed treatment but it worked by the next day and they never had them again that year. I dosed them with garlic juice, mother ACV and raw honey, then put Vick's up their nose with a very long Q tip(I'm a nurse, so had a package of those on hand).

By the next day the runny noses and sneezing was gone. I was pretty impressed.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, the symptoms of runny nose can seem to happen overnight, as the maggot starts to migrate through the sinus passages and irritating the mucosa there.

My sheep got them one drought stricken summer...that went on for a number of days before I researched the symptoms, probable causes and decided what to do for it. Not the prescribed treatment but it worked by the next day and they never had them again that year. I dosed them with garlic juice, mother ACV and raw honey, then put Vick's up their nose with a very long Q tip(I'm a nurse, so had a package of those on hand).

By the next day the runny noses and sneezing was gone. I was pretty impressed.
Wow, that's awesome that it worked! I will probably have to make a run to tractor supply to get some ivermectin :/

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
At what temp should I start to worry?? :(
"A normal body temperature for a sheep ranges around 102.3 degrees Fahrenheit. However, if a sheep's temperature is between 100.9 degrees and 103.8 degrees Fahrenheit, it is considered to be normal."

Sorry - I'm a goatie so I had to look it up. I used to show my goats and it was quite common that they would pick up a "bug" at a show. That would be my guess - but again - I'm not a sheep person so I have no idea. However, having a temp on your sheep might give you an idea if he's dealing with a respiratory infection of some sort.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Would valbazen work?
I don't think it's active against nasal bots, but moxodectin and abamectin are also licensed for treatment.

They are common in the hot weather, and apparently don't HAVE to be treated as they will eventually fly away.......but the very idea of a bunch of maggots munching and dancing in the nasal passages is enough for me to reach for the drench gun.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, no more snot/runny nose and he actually ate his grain last night and seems perky and happy. So I'm wondering if he just had a bit of a cold and was run down from the heat and the craziness from the show. Regardless I will be keeping a close eye on him .

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, no more snot/runny nose and he actually ate his grain last night and seems perky and happy. So I'm wondering if he just had a bit of a cold and was run down from the heat and the craziness from the show. Regardless I will be keeping a close eye on him .

Or, the fair grounds and pens are usually more dry and dusty than our home environments for animals....could be he breathed in a good bit of dust there as many people come by and dust is raised continually next to the animal pens.

Could be he finally cleared all that dust out of his system?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's not impossible that he breathed in something that was 'foreign' to him and that he has had a bit of a nasal allergy to. Let's hope that all that it takes to clear it is a few good sneezes and a bit of stray snot.

I'm sure the stress and strange environment of the show ground is enough to put some animals off their food.

Some animals seem to love it, though. I went to the Royal Welsh Show a couple of days back and there was a pen of little black ewe lambs being shown. One particular little lamb (who I can only guess was a bottle lamb) was standing with her neck extended and her eyes closed as one after another petted and chatted to her. She clearly found the experience delightful. I don't think her pen had any rosettes, but she'll be first in the queue to come to the next show.