SA Farm's 2015 Kidding Thread!

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still no kids :(
Chance is gone to her new home, so there won't be pictures of her kid/s sadly.
Granny is keeping me busy watching her. I swear she's the queen of the doe code. Random ligament loosening, super sucky randomly. Fiend for food. Still not much of an udder yet, though and the ligs aren't gone, so she can't fool me ;)

Maple had a bad day today. Apparently she wasn't making/absorbing her vit. B. Vet came out, gave her a shot and whatnot and she's back on her feet this evening, so hopefully she keep recovering!!

No new pictures. Probably get some of Granny one of these days. Of course, I may be away for a few days next week, so that's when she'll want to kid :p

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been a little busy and haven't been able to keep up...
What is going on with Maple?

Why did you sell Chance?
Apparently Monday night Maple didn't want to be milked, kept kicking up a storm. Having to dry her off this month anyway, they figured she was just 'weaning' them. Went out in the morning and she was down with her head flung back and a fever and whatnot. So they called the vet out and he wasn't hopeful, but figured it was a Vit. B deficiency and gave her a shot and some anti-biotics and whatnot to be on the safe side. By the time the vet got there, her temp had actually dropped below normal and she was drooling and stuff :(
Last night Maple was up eating and drinking, still a little off, but recovering. Hopefully I'll hear today that she's continuing to improve.

Sold Chance because it's looking more and more like the move is going to happen. I'd prefer to find her a good home now when she's got a couple of months left before she's due, than later. Granny's too far along to sell and Clover's already spoken for, so things are moving along there.
We won't be able to take very many of the animals with us, unfortunately :(

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
:fl hope you get good news about Maple :hugs

so is vit B something one keep on hand?
It's a good idea, apparently. Especially since the vet had no idea why goats can randomly stop producing/absorbing it...?

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Omg granny is big, big, big! Our ewe mammy is just about that size but she isnt due until march.

Good Luck and I am sooooo following :pop

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Isnt Vitamin B deficiency Polio in goats? Glad to hear she's doing better.
:idunnoDon't know and I wasn't there, so I couldn't ask.
She's doing even better this morning. They're going to give her another shot to be on the safe side, but she's pulling through so far! :fl she keeps recovering!

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
To quote this website: http://www.jackmauldin.com/goat_polio.html
"The main cause of this disease is either a thiamine deficiency or the stopping of the thiamine activity in the rumen. Thiamine, or vitamin B1, is a major part of the rumen processing that occurs with carbohydrates and amino acid in the rumen. Decreased processing activity leads to cell death in the brain and swelling from excessive accumulation of watery fluid in brain cells and tissues. The symptoms originate from the damage to the brain. "
I thought of this because of an episode of Dr. Pol I watched! The do had her head flung back like that and was screeeeaming. Polio causes swelling in the brain, but if caught quickly (like you did), they can often make a full or nearly full recovery. If I'm not mistaken a staggered gait, different vocalization and staring or gazing can happen afterwards if there was some injury during swelling, but he said it doesn't effect their quality of life, usually.

I will have Vitamin B on hand by the end of this month for this reason alone! Again, glad she's doing better!