SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey all! :frow
Now that I'm not really farming anymore, I haven't been and probably won't be around much, but I'll still try to stop in now and then.
The only critters I'm raising now are a pair of mini Rex and budgies. Even though I have four budgies and two of each gender, only one breeding pair at the moment. Blu is "special". I doubt he'll ever be a breeder lol.
Sorry the pics are crooked... Seems like that's just how it goes with phone pics :p
Nappy birds :D
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
they are beautiful. had a blue budgie as a kid and loved him dearly. ds#1 sucked him up in the vacuum cleaner, amazingly it didn't hurt him but boy did he made a b-line to his cage whenever it was turned on after that. when you miss farming just think of them as little chickens.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey guys!
It's been forever! I should make a point in dropping by more often :oops::hide
My budgies failed to have fertile eggs their first time trying. I'm setting them up again this fall, so fingers crossed for that. :fl
I'm in the process of cutting back on my Mini Rex again. I always seem to have more than I should lol
All the other critters are doing great. My dogs and cat are loving the apartment life and we're quite settled in as we've been here a year now.
:D

image.jpeg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
:frow
Well, I did keep my promise to stop in occasionally, but I mostly just lurked. Mostly because my phone won’t stay logged in and partially because it wasn’t that easy for me to look at everyone else’s farms and flocks growing and changing while I just had a few rabbits and parrots.
The farm envy was real :p
Last summer, we moved back home from Alberta and I’ve begun the arduous task of starting over with my focus on the poultry side, so I’ll probably hang out on the BYC forum more than here now, but I missed you guys, so we’ll see. Perhaps I’ll journal here again :)
Before we moved back, I found fabulous homes for my budgies and bunnies. My Mini Rex were shown at a few events and were winning consistently, so they were homed with some of the people who were interested in adding to their herd quality.
Being back is such a relief. I need my farm. Things are already a lot better here for it as well. We tore down most of the old buildings and have revamped what was the half-done haybarn into two stalls for our birds with 10x10x6 dog kennels for fencing that I’m putting a chicken wire “skirt” around and covering with netting to keep my birds in and others out.
We started off with plans to do a lot more to make things safer, more manageable, and far less impulsive than before and so far so good. It’s actually amazing reading back on some of the things I experienced all those years ago and seeing how much I’ve learned and changed from that time. I’ve never really felt young, but I’ve certainly acted it :rolleyes:
Anyway, I have eggs in the ‘bator and birds in the barn, so I feel like a farmer again!
:weee

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Awwww, it's so good to hear from you!! I've certainly missed seeing you and hearing about your critters but I totally understand it not being easy when others have something and it's something you desire.

What kind of birds do you have now? You should post some photos. ;) We are expecting our replacement flock next week. I can hardly wait but I also think I'm crazy for ordering chicks(haven't ordered chicks in 8 years. My mom and I typically buy from TSC or other feed stores). :D I'll be rehoming six of my hens to a friend and that'll at least help on the feed bill and we'll have enough eggs for my family till the new flock starts laying.

I look forward to hearing more about your adventures! :love

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Me? Share pics? Lol
So far, I have a few Pekin and Indian Runnerx ducks that I intend to swap out for Silver Appleyards. DH likes the Pekins, but I prefer heritage breeds.
They were perfect to start with since we picked up a bunch of them with some chickens in a moving sale, but I gots to have me them heritage birds!
A295C5D9-58AD-4955-A13D-8764B1C2301A.jpeg
I literally have two chickens because they came with the ducks. Now I’ve fallen in love with the super sweet roo, so he’s got to be a keeper even though I intend to get back into raising my beloved Speckled Sussex :love
33D4C655-4202-4B6C-BDAE-AEB507CE1284.jpeg
And...naturally I have turkeys. A pair of Royal Palms and a Bourbon Red hen to start with.
278DBCC2-5599-40DB-AFF8-927469D7D428.jpeg
I also tried out quail for the first time and I liked them and their meat well enough, but DH didn’t like the meat and I can’t really raise them just for me, so they’re out. I was proud of myself for raising and butchering them myself though :D:cool:

I’ll keep you updated as things progress :hugs

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Very neat! Mom and I wanted ducks for a while and I still would love to have a pair but we just don't have the space for them right now. Your turkeys are so pretty! They seem like they'd be a fun bird to raise. We used to have Pharoah quail. I loved them!! We got so many eggs which my dad, who does not eat eggs, enjoyed. I didn't care too much for their meat either. I used a rabbit hutch to house them and they were pretty good about not flying out when I'd open it. And then one of my males did fly out and across the street into my neighbor's yard. I could not see where he landed and I did not want to attract their dogs to him. I found them all a new home shortly thereafter. I was heartbroken!! They were pretty fun to raise and care for.