SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like questions since I can never think of what interesting things to say about myself! :oops:
I just realized that this is a super long post, so let's see if I can summarize:

I live in Ontario, Canada, where the weather ranges from -30 in the winter with the wind chill to about 40 with humidity in the heat of the summer.
I am married to a wonderful husband who puts up with my growing, eclectic farm, and occasionally adds to it himself! I've helped my hubby build hutches, coops, sheds, etc, all for the animals!
I come from a long line of farmers from both sides of my family and got the animal lover's gene to boot :rolleyes: I farm for a living, but I don't make enough to consider it to be more than a hobby.
No matter how much I know about the animals I have or have had, I'm always researching and looking to learn more. I have varied experience with many different breeds and types of animals from pets to livestock.
A few years ago I started into gardening, and, while I despise it, I'm very determined to do what's best for the health of myself, my animals, and my family. (Not necessarily in that order!)
I have chickens, pheasants, ducks, goats, rabbits, turkeys, dogs, and cats...I don't think I've forgotten anyone this time!
I basically manage the farm, keep the records, do the feeding, upkeep, medicating, buying, selling, breeding, etc.
I would like to learn how to sex day-old chicks.
We do keep some animals for meat, but my hubby is in charge of that, thank God. We freeze our meat right now, but my hubby has been talking about building a smoker!
This year is going to be really busy, since we just added ducks and pheasants to the farm and are expanding our goat herd. Since goats are awesome and I love them :love
We do as much as we can for ourselves, including using recycled materials, building everything from coops to putting up fencing ourselves. We improvise a lot!

My animals have changed my life. I've learned to live with death and celebrate life. Too many things to name, really. I've lived my entire life surrounded by animals and loving them, losing them, wanting more of them, parting ways with them, worrying about them, wishing I could do more, kicking myself for not doing more, wishing I had more money so I could spoil them more, etc.

Edited to say: I basically restart on Paige 21 for those of you who want to skip ahead ;)

Last edited:

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
All 24 bought eggs are developing!:yesss:
I have four hatched ducklings so far and :fl for more - and that the chicks do something as so far they’ve been quiet.
I tried the egg carton method - setting the eggs in a carton to prevent hatchlings from knocking over the unhatched babies.
Not impressed. Never doing it again. Worth a shot, but not pleased with the results :tongue

I am, however, pleased that I have cute little ducklings to look at and take pictures of. :celebrate
EC314264-DBD8-44AC-B0E5-B184046D43AA.jpeg CAC694EB-5BE3-444F-B2A4-C311C7E6D3AF.jpeg 85DD668E-C2C5-43D2-A0AA-D1FBC6BFDBDD.jpeg EA2452BD-A9D5-4FAD-833E-ECD520FB2A58.jpeg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
GLW hen moved inside to get some TLC. Unfortunately DH didn’t look very close at the pair of them when he picked them up and the poor things were rather underweight. In fairly good health otherwise, so that’s alright. She’s already coming along nicely.
Roosters were both culled as the GLW was picking on the hens and the OEG wasn’t suited to my breeding program - of sorts :p
The two specks and the Game hen will finish up their quarantine before moving in with Mojo and his lady who my Mom named Pizzazz.
DH is determined to raise up some sheep over the summer for freezer camp and you know you can’t just have a few for freezer camp when you can raise them :lol:
Meet our newest addition who will be getting some friends next weekend for said freezer camp. This little lady is mine and a keeper :D DH wanted to name her Wolf, so I decided she will be heretofore known as Woolfie :lol::love
1FB19647-AFE1-43BD-8027-10511C503E49.jpeg 15E98687-5DD9-4B97-97E5-C4BA6746DC76.jpeg
She is a 3 week old bottle baby, the smallest of a set of triplets.
I’ve never liked sheep, but you do what you gotta do when your DH has an obvious preference ;) I think she’s already growing on me :p

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll tell y'all a funny story about seed ticks. I was 14, at my grand parents in Corrigan. My cousin, age 13 and a friend of hers were also there. We went walking in the woods and ran into a nest of seed ticks. I watched with dismay as they spread all over us, my cousin and her friend (city girls) were freaking out. I told them I was going to the creek and took off running. They ran behind me. At the creek, I stripped naked and scrubbed with handfuls of wet sand on me to get the ticks off. Cousin and friend were freaked out by that too. I told them what the ticks would do to them and that they'd better get them off. Their clothes hit the bank and they did a good sand scrubbing too. Then we sloshed in the creek to wash the sand off. They were nervous about snakes. Me, I was more worried about the darn ticks.

So there we were, butt naked out in the woods, our clothes covered in ticks, hundreds and hundreds of the tiny *&$^&*#. I hate them. We gingerly picked up our clothes, holding them away from us and made our way through the woods back to Grandmothers house. Grandpa was gone to town, we were very grateful for THAT!. There was a large clearing to cross to get to the house, and the neighbor was on his tractor in his garden. So we waited for him to turn and go up the row, then we skeedaddled to the house, dropping our clothes on the way. Grandmother looked up to see 3 giggling naked girls come running in. We took a bath in a wash tub, put on clean clothes, then draped our tick clothes over the tractor. Next morning, the ticks were gone and we packed the clothing up in our bags.

We got NO tick bites.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Took me awhile as I had company over yesterday. DH brought home a couple pairs of chickens (standard OEG and GL Wyandotte) and a speckled Sussex hen duo.
The two roosters are freezer bound. I would’ve kept the GL, but he was being nasty to the hens and that’s just not allowed around here.
My new Appleyards:
645374A2-816F-4D8B-8C0D-F2D216D360D8.jpeg
Settling in with my mixed week-olds
B23C65F9-948F-4BCC-96E5-4AC422DB7917.jpeg
I ended up with 7/8 of my own duck babies this week and one of them looks disturbingly similar to an Appleyard!
134CCCD6-931C-47C3-B551-EB341DA034ED.jpeg
And one of the speckled Sussex hens.
39FC6373-0E0B-42E4-B7C0-A0020799FB06.jpeg
I didn’t get pics of the rest. The GL hen may be broody or something since she’s hiding in the nest box.
We’ll see how she goes. I did get an egg from one of them last night. Tempted to throw it in the bator to see what’s up :p
Next lockdown is coming up on Tuesday with a lot of potential babies. 12 Speckled Sussex, 2 EEs, and a bunch of my mutt ducks :jumpy

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Took the Appleyards out for some outdoor sunshine today. I’m putting together an outdoor grow out tractor for them that I’m hoping they can move into it in another couple of weeks. They were only out for a few minutes today since it was pretty windy.
2084F3FC-12E1-4BA4-A527-8413FE18F5A4.jpeg
I did some wire sowing for the cover of one of my perma-pens once the duckies were put away. Now I just need DH’s muscles to move the house and his expertise to put a door on the thing and it’s ready for new occupants.
I’m loving the sunshine we’ve had. I really hope it keeps up! The ground is almost dry and I’d like it to stay that way for at least a few days before the spring rains begin :p

Do we think this little fluffle will have a crest? Daddy does, so it’s possible. Adorable either way!
DF1CD0F4-15EE-4DDF-BC40-6B6443678979.jpeg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve been neglecting putting up pics because it’s been so dreary, but here are a few of my plants and one of Foxy just because she was standing nearby lol
Nice thing about the cold and wet is that the ticks have been less bothersome. Of course, the mosquitoes are starting...:p
My beans, growing beans...in the house.
6BB359C4-9FF0-418F-839C-9D06D480B66B.jpeg
Forsythia in all its glory
37819343-17B5-46F0-8530-D35A2B8CD9C8.jpeg
Buds on the lilac
BDD30E6C-86B6-441C-BA9F-1378553F6979.jpeg
And the flowering almond almost full bloom
4DBB7291-D8BF-4CAC-A68D-8FDCAC1400A5.jpeg
And the random pic of Foxy
C3CC41FE-7FB8-4B7E-A508-5516409E274A.jpeg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you find one you liked or are you still looking? ;)
The one I like is still baking lol

Consort managed to hatch out a late bloomer poult. Hopefully it makes it as it seems a little weak. Time will tell. I still have to get Princess set up with the eggs in the incubator that are due next week, but we’ve been battling a rat problem in the barn and I’m not sure they’d be safe enough even with a fierce mama turkey watching after them...might have to figure out a way to set her up in the brooder shed. 7 poults from there are expected to go to their new home tomorrow, so I might be able to rearrange it 🤔 The mamas with their poults can go back into the barn when their littles aren’t so little.
Nutmeg decided to go broody on me after all, so I have to rig her up someplace too. Fortunately I have chick and poult eggs in the bator, so she’ll even get to hatch her own kind - though none of the eggs are hers lol
Finally got my garden planted entirely. It’s supposed to rain and possibly storm tomorrow, so I’m glad that’s done. Our earlier plants are doing well. Tomatoes are blooming and so is a little hot pepper plant DH was gifted.
6C91D9B2-36AB-4FC8-818C-A49E18F068D9.jpeg
And...drumroll please...I finally got the flying leap pic I’ve been hoping for!:yesss:
3557B0AD-5F83-48A8-A680-754B866F241E.jpeg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s definitely a relief that she’s safely back behind solid fencing with free access to feed. I doubt she would’ve had trouble finding water around here though lol. My main concern was that she and her littles would be fodder for the predators in the area. We’re not lacking in that area at all and I even heard an owl last night! (We have great horned owls around here.)
I prefer mosquitoes over ticks. Ticks are evil and must be stopped by whatever means necessary. This time of year, we have a designated “tick bottle” where we can collect the monsters until the season is over and we can toss the bottle. I’d prefer a way to keep them in wood or something so I could burn them - burn them all!!! (insert maniacal laughter here) - but I would be too worried about them escaping to creepy crawl around the house *shudders.*
Consort and her littles that play peekaboo through the fence - occasionally sending her into a fit 🙄
BAF6BF35-FAC6-4561-B914-7B9B80437960.jpeg
And miss Princess poking her head out to make sure I’m not after some of her littles 🥰
E705A6ED-025C-4C47-8BBA-3F7DF117B3CA.jpeg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks, all! We’re pretty thrilled with him. His name is Gary and he’s very alert and just the best baby in my obviously unbiased opinion 😉
So, all this time, I’ve been working on having my dual-purpose heritage chickens so we can eat the extra roosters and my little man would not only not let me eat (or even smell) chicken during my pregnancy - I finally had chicken after he was born and he had the worst gas! Just miserable with it for a good 12 hours 🤦‍♀️
Seems I’ll be selling/giving away all my extra roosters for quite some time.
At least I can still eat their eggs 😝
1968AC06-0F2B-4DC1-AC6E-82F73CAE8696.jpeg
748069D7-48FD-4FED-9677-2CDC8C5F94EA.jpeg