SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your puppy just looks intelligent. She has that way of holding herself that speaks smart. I love it that your son is smitten with her. It won’t be long and they will be inseparable.
It’s only been a week and they are definitely two peas in a pod!
I would choose which rooster I preferred but I would NOT get rid of the other one until I had chicks on the ground... There are too many times that a lost rooster will derail you from getting any chicks... Get some hatched out and then sell the rooster you are not as satisfied with. Hedge your bets so you have a backup male in case.....
As long as they don’t start fighting I’ll keep them both. So far so good 😊

I can’t believe it’s the end of January already. Things have been weirdly mild around here. Not that I’m complaining, but last time we had such a mild winter, the bugs were just awful the rest of the year!
Within the month I have to get the girls crutched to prepare for lambing. I’ll start increasing their grain next month as well. Foxy had me a little worried the last week or so of her pregnancy last year since she stopped eating much hay. Not enough room with triplets! I remember upping her grain and giving her multiple feedings a day to help her keep her energy up. I’m sure I’ll be doing the same thing this year from the size of her.

Dingo’s been really good the last week or two. I think it’s because he was bad one day and the smarty pants turned his back on me immediately after going after me — anticipating my reaction, of course! — so I had to lean over him to give him his just desserts. Been on his best behaviour ever since 😂

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s what Dingo gets too. That’s why he turned his butt to me. He thought that would save his nose from my wrath 😂
He was wrong, but I was somewhat impressed that he thought it out like that 😝 He’s 3 this year, so he should be about at the peak of his testosterone levels now, right?

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Excuse me, you’re in the way!
F391FEC2-84EA-4E50-973D-7B116B6FD668.jpeg
No, that isn’t any better!
684EF355-2496-4D9E-9479-FB5A2873204D.jpeg
Seriously?!
0AA0E936-2F47-4B1C-8627-49CA38DCF581.jpeg
Katana has a bit of a tendency to be underfoot 😂 She loves to play in the hay, so the moment I pull any off the bale, she’s in it. God forbid I try to roll it up to carry it to the sheep :lol:

Today we were outside playing and DS wandered off and she went with him. I called her and she came back like a champ. I gave her a treat, then asked her where the baby went.
I wasn’t really expecting a response, but she dutifully ran right to him. Had to give her another treat for that one!
…I think she may be smarter than me…🤔

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fired up my incubator since a few of my chickens started laying again last month. Not fertile 🙄 My rooster is on strike from the cold lol Hopefully he’ll get to work soon.
One of the bantams has laid a few eggs now. I haven’t tested them yet, but I’m picking up some hatching eggs this week, so might throw a few in and see what they do.
Since I’m trying out bantams for the first time, I’ve insanely decided to purchase a bunch of various breed hatching eggs and keep a few from each hatch. Then I can keep any girls that grow out and see which ones I like best before getting more next year 😂 (or sooner depending on my ambition/insanity levels).

It’s supposed to warm up for a few weeks coming up, so it’s about to be “crutching” time. I’ll start with Foxy, then Coy, then Doll (though I might just fully shear her in March 🤔). Just have to lock them in the barn on the rainy days coming up so they don’t ruin my shears.
Due in 4 weeks:
2C992C2C-6F7B-44B8-9466-2144A8A92676.jpeg
Do we think Foxy will have triplets again? That’s quite the bulge on her right side!
7880577E-4688-4FFE-8FD9-BA126D6DC624.jpeg
How about Coy? Twins again or does she have triplets packed in there?

And almost a group shot, but Coy and Doll both moved lol
5EC37EBA-E18F-48CD-8BF8-6ED02D7EAC17.jpeg
I found out that I did mark down when Doll was flirting with Dingo through the fence. For some reason I put it on my calendar instead of in my notes 🙄 It was November 4th, so if Coy’s boy was able to breed her, she’s due a month after the others. I should be able to tell for sure once she’s shorn.

I can’t wait for babies! 🐣🐑