SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
His reason (excuse šŸ˜‰) for not doing it is that he has no place to put things...Iā€™m hoping imminent baby will light a fire under him and perhaps heā€™ll make space for keeper things and toss or donate everything else šŸ˜‹ Weā€™ve made some progress the last two days, so :fl it continues!

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
If he has no place to put the things they are better off in the boxes :D
Yes, but if he cleaned up he could find or create places :tongue Lol

My geese have gone to their new home. I miss them already :( Fortunately, I feel they will be very well taken care of as the woman who got them seemed genuinely excited to have them and was very nice.
I have a few chicks and poults under a broody due Monday and several going to their new home soon. I have 11 poults still needing to go, plus some chick grow-outs I need to sort and post.
Itā€™s raining right now, but Iā€™m hoping itā€™ll dry out in the morning so DH can still get the lawn mowed. If not, I guess weā€™ll have to go out and get groceries instead. Maybe some feed and supplies.
Thereā€™s always something that needs doing šŸ˜

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, but if he cleaned up he could find or create places :tongue Lol

My geese have gone to their new home. I miss them already :( Fortunately, I feel they will be very well taken care of as the woman who got them seemed genuinely excited to have them and was very nice.
I have a few chicks and poults under a broody due Monday and several going to their new home soon. I have 11 poults still needing to go, plus some chick grow-outs I need to sort and post.
Itā€™s raining right now, but Iā€™m hoping itā€™ll dry out in the morning so DH can still get the lawn mowed. If not, I guess weā€™ll have to go out and get groceries instead. Maybe some feed and supplies.
Thereā€™s always something that needs doing šŸ˜
That's so true it's a never ending cycle! šŸ™ƒ

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got some grocery shopping done yesterday and a little bit today when we went to drop off some chicks. Finally have all the topsoil I need to plant my raised bed. Took a few trips with the wheelbarrow to get all 40 20-litre bags out back. All but 6 have been opened and dumped into the raised bed. Got most of the planting done, but had to quit early due to heat and bugs driving me crazy! Ticks have been out for a while and mosquitoes are starting to get bad now :smackWe also have these little sometimes biting flies that like to swarm. Ugh šŸ˜‘
DH got most of the lawn mowed today. Just a swatch left that is on high enough ground that the rain weā€™re expecting tonight shouldnā€™t prevent him from being able to finish it up tomorrow.
So much still to do. So tired. Iā€™m pacing myself pretty well, I think, but itā€™s not easy when Iā€™m used to being able to power through and get things done now. Itā€™ll all get done in due time, I know. It just annoys me that Iā€™m taking an extra day (or more) for each planned chore šŸ˜ At least I got some housework done :rolleyes:
Tomorrow Iā€™ll (hopefully) finish planting and get the chicks and poults cleaned out and the indoor littles moved out to the brooder shed. Hoping indoor brooding is done for the year. Just gotta get Princess set up with the last hatch and weā€™re good. The next batch of eggs arenā€™t due until June, so I have a bit more time to worry about that. Thankfully! Havenā€™t even started on the goose pen yet! Itā€™s not the highest on my list of priorities right now šŸ˜‹

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Heat and bugs at the same time is just wrong! We get those biting black fly swarms too. No bugs yet, it's been too cool, but they're saying 80's next week. We'll see...

You're getting things done, but I understand the frustration of it going slow. Welcome to my world! Except you'll get over it when you're no longer pregnant, and I will just keep moving slower. Lol

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
We also have these little sometimes biting flies that like to swarm. Ugh šŸ˜‘
We get those biting black fly swarms too.

Regarding the black flies, Gord of the YouTube channel "GP Outdoors", who resides in central Ontario, wears protecting netting when the flies are swarming. He said he got the netting in a sporting good store. You can see him wearing the netting around the 3:00 minute mark in the video:

Do you two think that would work for either of you?

Senile Texas Aggie

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Regarding the black flies, Gord of the YouTube channel "GP Outdoors", who resides in central Ontario, wears protecting netting when the flies are swarming. He said he got the netting in a sporting good store. You can see him wearing the netting around the 3:00 minute mark in the video:

Do you two think that would work for either of you?

Senile Texas Aggie

We have head nets, and they do help, but the whole torso thing would be helpful. Thanks STA!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
So much still to do. So tired.
Same here!! Starting to lose sleep thinking about all I have to do. Of course you'll have even more to do soon ;)

Gord of the YouTube channel "GP Outdoors"
Can you even imagine having to stand still with your hands occupied in a black fly infested area?? :eek I bet the netting changes it from a "not thanks" job to one that isn't unpleasant.

That is one BIG tree! Nice of him to not only split but also stack the neighbor's wood. Well thought out plan to get the rounds up to the splitter. I'm not big on clamp on forks but given he has a pin on bucket I can see why he as them. Just can't lift near as much and have to be careful not to bend the bucket. Could be the bucket is sturdy enough given the lift limitations of the tractor, especially that far from the pins.

His splitter is designed like mine. Wish I could speed it up like he did around 4:20 ;)
And yes what he is doing is one of the "so much still to do" on my list ... except I have to block it before I can split it. And I NEED to get on that or it won't dry for the next heating season. But I've not finished getting the garden in, things won't grow if I don't get them in the ground.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
a pin on bucket

Actually he has a quick attach bucket. He has a grapple as well. I don't understand why he uses the forks instead of the grapple for picking up logs, but if he wants to do it that way, more power to him I guess.

I hope you can get started on your wood soon! Have you considered doing the wood in the winter instead of the spring and summer? That is how "Sawing with Sandy" does it. He, too, is in Ontario, Canada. You can see how he does his wood here:

Sorry, Miss @SA Farm, to hijack your thread.:)

Senile Texas Aggie