SA Farm's journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
(No plans for that happening. Ever. Two-three, plus whatever they produce next year is plenty of sheep. As it is, I’ll be sorely tempted to keep any ewe lambs they may have :p)
You realize that reply was to Mike who originally was going to have just a few sheep, right?? How many do you have now Mike? And how many are you going to carry through the winter?

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
You realize that reply was to Mike who originally was going to have just a few sheep, right?? How many do you have now Mike? And how many are you going to carry through the winter?
I’m just saying that in the hopes that it’ll stick and I won’t end up needing a bigger barn and expansions ;)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score

We have 45 at the moment but we already took quite a few to market. We will go through winter with around 30.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Might as well start planning for that bigger barn now..... sheep math.
I already have been :lol: :hide Actually just want to upgrade the girls’ setup rather than add more sheep. We’ll see how long I hold out before sheep math gets me :gig

Yesterday for Canada Day, some of my family got together at Lake Erie for a picnic lunch, then swimming. I made deviled duck eggs for the occasion while DH made pulled pork. So good :drool
It was a really fun day, but I ended up with a bit of a sunburn :he I didn’t take many pics, but here are a few.
42F38B66-88F1-42B3-AD3B-EFFCB48461DF.jpeg
DEE5173D-203A-4FB3-A95C-A7D4A42E221C.jpeg
The little blanket I’ve been working on is finally finished. Lighting was bad, sorry.
61719AA6-9FF7-467E-951C-D2C0F039ABCC.jpeg
To get a better idea of the colour, a part way done pic...yes, it’s over my beagle lol.
6CD3E436-D400-4059-8CE0-AABFC41C4106.jpeg
I really like the pattern I used for it. It’s the third I’ve made like it. The first was a throw, then a full-sized blanket, and now this one.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is there any difference in ease/impossibility of peeling boiled duck eggs compared to chicken eggs?
I've never had a problem with a boiled duck egg....their membrane is thicker than a chicken's, so it never presented an issue for us.....:)

Really like the blankets or covers....are they knitted or crocheted?.....my Mom would "jerk a knot" in me for asking that....cause I should be able to look at it and tell....but, sadly, I can't.....she used to do both and quilt, too....ya certainly wouldn't want to be down this way with that skin....the sun is much hotter here and will burn ya in 15mins....hope ya have a Great time!!....my plan is to eat some kind of pork on the grill with a sauce or glaze on it.....:drool.....:)

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce I think the chicken eggs are slightly more difficult to peel cleanly than the duck. The turkey eggs were the easiest as the shell is thinner, but with the strong membrane (more like the duck than chicken) it came off like nothing. It was almost too easy after doing the ducks :p

@CntryBoy777 Thanks :) It’s crocheted. I don’t have the patience for knitting. It’s also a little less forgiving when it comes to...improvised stitches (my fancy way of saying mistakes lol).

This morning my Mom and I went strawberry picking. We picked 16 quarts before calling it quits. Got home and sorted half of them out to freeze the majority while Mom took her half home.
Checked on my little nest of barn swallows and they’re all fledged! I got a bit too close and they proved their skill by flying away en masse :)
B3D5AF3E-6684-4ACF-831F-6C4B651C68FD.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a pretty blanket. I always wanted to learn how to knit/crochet, but never did. There is a spinner's guild in the next county, but I am staying away from it..….that would mean getting wool sheep, shearing, spinning, learning to knit/crochet...….. and I have enough on my plate at the moment. :lol: