SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good idea planning and freezing meals ahead. I wish I did that. I don't mind cooking if there's nothing else to do, but mostly it's annoying that people get hungry and need fed. 😄
Right?!? Though usually I’m the one who’s hungry and needs fed 😉 Poor DH 😂

Well, it took me the better part of an hour, but I managed to turn Foxy into a lion :lol: I’m both proud of what I managed to do all by myself and ashamed at the hack job. It’ll do for the time being :)
At least now I can actually see her udder and whatnot, rather than always having to feel for it to know how it’s filling lol
Before:
D02D455E-D535-4D7D-937B-2A650DF8DC3E.jpeg

After:
E1C2E34D-3695-4AD4-8A77-C2ED2A6C0AE0.jpeg

I never even bothered to take a pic of her backside before, but here’s her nice little first-timer udder 🥰 Her ligs were back today, so the wait continues.
FC43401F-0E0B-4FFB-81A9-02A9FA38C088.jpeg
And since I realize I’ve been neglecting updating on the turkeys, I candled the eggs I put in almost a week ago and saw definite veining in 11 of the 12 eggs! Yay! The last one I’ll double check later to make sure I didn’t just miss anything. Still, fantastic fertility for my new King!
And a pic of the happy moms gobbling (🙄😆) up the handful of grass I brought them. Still not much to pick for them, but I do what I can.
E65CAC57-21FF-4E74-AD20-BF3422C70B61.jpeg
Left to right: Con, Missy (front), Queen, Princess, and Connie. Missy is my tamest and will just about eat from my hand at this point. If I dedicated time to sitting in their pen giving them treats, they’d be much friendlier - more like my spoiled sheep lol

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Happy Easter, everyone! 🐣🐣🐣
I have pips starting in my incubator for Easter Monday chicks, so that’s exciting. DH made leg of lamb with mashed potatoes, mushrooms, corn, and asparagus - delicious!
And since Foxy’s ligs are still there, we brought the shears out and I tried to fix the worst of my hack job as well as finish up her neck. I definitely still need practice as both DH and I managed to give her a tiny nick each :(
But, that’s one done for the summer. I’m going to keep an eye on how quickly it grows so I can determine if an early fall/late summer shear would be beneficial. Worried about doing Woolfie as her wool is much thicker...
C1324059-837A-49F6-90C3-C5A93E8859F5.jpeg

Got my first egg from my bantam Easter Egger hen today. An adorable little pale blue egg. I brought the brooder out to dump in the chicken pen for their entertainment (and to eat any leftover bits of chick starter) which they seemed to enjoy quite thoroughly! They did find some starter, but mostly just dust bathed in it lol.
512D59FD-CDBF-495C-B3EB-F199CDB1D64E.jpeg

Spice (SS), Sage (BLRW), and Nutmeg (GLW)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just don't let Foxy look in the mirror, I think you'll be ok. :lol:

For more meals to heat up, make some soup or stew. Got a crock pot? Season up some chicken and put it in the crock pot. Bake a couple of potatoes and dinner is done.

Like cornbread? I make something I call cornbread supper, I make cornbread batter, a recipe and a half. Then I start "adding" stuff. I brown a pound of pan sausage, grate up some cheese, chop and saute an onion, slice some mushrooms, anything else I can think of.

Get a deep iron skillet smoking hot (oil in the bottom) Pour a little less than half of the batter in the skillet. Add the browned sausage, onion, jalapenos, mushrooms, cheese, pour remaining batter in and bake at 359 for about an hour. One piece is a meal. You can section the cornbread supper, wrap each piece and freeze. Thaw, heat and eat.

Make some home made chili and freeze. Chili over Fritos corn chips, topped with onion and cheese is yummy!

Breakfast burritos-a couple heaping tablespoons of browned pan sausage, crumbled, break a few eggs over it and scramble. Wrap it up in a big flour tortilla and enjoy.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like cornbread? I make something I call cornbread supper, I make cornbread batter, a recipe and a half. Then I start "adding" stuff. I brown a pound of pan sausage, grate up some cheese, chop and saute an onion, slice some mushrooms, anything else I can think of.

Get a deep iron skillet smoking hot (oil in the bottom) Pour a little less than half of the batter in the skillet. Add the browned sausage, onion, jalapenos, mushrooms, cheese, pour remaining batter in and bake at 359 for about an hour. One piece is a meal. You can section the cornbread supper, wrap each piece and freeze. Thaw, heat and eat.
I like that idea! We love cornbread, I'm going to do this for the weekend.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tried to fix the worst of my hack job as well as finish up her neck.
That is about what my alpacas look like when we are done with them. I can't get the electric shears to cut very long, I think the boys are so dirty all the way to the skin that the cutter dulls almost immediately. So we've been doing them with scissors and hand shears. Yeah, have to be REAL careful with either of those. Keep the triple antibiotic ointment handy.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Easter hatch went well with 21/23 hatched! 🐣 I’m going to try to find homes for 9 of them to keep my numbers manageable! One of the littles DH has spoken for out of our mixed group or I’d have a nice even 10 to sell lol. It better be a hen :rolleyes: Should be interesting to see how it turns out as it’s a SilkieXSS.
On the right with SS markings, dark skin, feathered legs, and an extra toe 😊
102342A0-FB00-40BE-9B30-1BA7C893D79E.jpeg
I really need to buck up and get my geese eggs candled that my girls are sitting on. I have a week or two before it could become a problem, so I’m waiting for nice weather. Story of my life in Ontario spring! It snowed yesterday 🙄
Foxy’s ligs were pretty much gone again today, but I think she’s still just playing with me. I may have to do a midnight check to be on the safe side though :p
:pop

Latest posts