SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule I have 3 smaller ones. I can usually hatch about 20 eggs a week (depending on fertility and quitters) since my 2 with auto turners hold about 40 each and my 3rd is used just for lockdown. I set and hatch weekly that way and only need to clean out the one for the entire hatching season. It works 😊 DH keeps making noises about getting a cabinet incubator someday, but I like my system.

Nutmeg was, thankfully, just getting ready to lay. Phew lol
We picked up my new ram and we have named him Dingo to go with our predator theme. I’m hoping he’s a keeper. If not, his name will be passed on to our next potential keeper and he will automatically become the new Ramchop!
6E15559C-4FED-4111-878F-22EE29CAF084.jpegF631B388-D748-40DA-91A9-FCC25C945DFB.jpeg
Oh, finally got some pictures of a flying Kit! She’s not as predictable as her mom and Woolfie were, so it’s much harder to catch her in the act!
8FB89AB5-7479-42E6-A6D0-DF4250860DD5.jpegFB3A16DF-6781-432F-8D47-BD79E5FAE491.jpeg14B4FA03-CD79-49FF-8C52-AB35C35BCD8D.jpeg
DH has decided that he definitely wants to continue expanding our flock of sheep, so he wants to get rid of the geese to compensate for the work/feed bill. I’m sad about it but, at the end of the day, I’m okay with his decision. He wants to definitely keep a ewe lamb from Woolfie and says that if she has twin ewe lambs, we’re keeping them both.
Yes, dear. Lol
Here’s hoping she has twin rams first 😉 I’d like to make sure we’re up for the work of a flock of 4 before making it 6 🤦‍♀️😳😋

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Right? :lol: The only reason we never expanded the goats is because DH didn’t like them and I was happy with just my trio 😝
He’s definitely got to take some math classes to help with his new sheep addiction 😉😂 I might go for my poultry addiction...or we’ll both happily continue taking turns putting the brakes on or enabling each other!:weee

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
He’s definitely got to take some math classes to help with his new sheep addiction 😉😂 I might go for my poultry addiction...or we’ll both happily continue taking turns putting the brakes on or enabling each other!
Or looking for a bigger place with room for all the animals!

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
First hatch/test run of the season is complete!
4/10 ducklings
5/9 chicklets
View attachment 59756 View attachment 59754 View attachment 59755
Next lockdown for a small batch of ducks is tomorrow. Today my first duckies moved out to the brooder shed while the chicklets get to stay inside because they’re so tiny and adorable I want to keep them close to look at and hold.
Found another raiser of Silver Appleyard ducks within a decent driving distance, so I’m working on plans to pick up a few soon so I’ll have a couple of bloodlines :yesss:
The weather is warming up and my sprouts are sprouting like mad. I don’t have much interest in gardening, but I do it for the good of my critters and family.
I’m planning on building a few “salad bars” for the birds - basically a wooden frame with a mesh cover that I plant with grass, leafy greens, and some herbs for the birds to snack on without being able to get to the roots to destroy them.
It’s especially good for the ducks since they’re the worst for destroying all greenery in their pen! :smack
Going through your thread and enjoying it, I'm glad that you were able to come back to the farm life! Quick question...I think I'm going to build a salad bar for my chicks. It will be awhile before we let them out into their free range pen and I would love to supplement their diet with fresh greens. What kind of greens did you plant for them...thank you!

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nothing really new on the farm front...just wanted to let y’all know:

I’m having a boy!!!! :love:yesss::celebrate
I knew it! My mom and DH called it as well. So intuitive. I had an early dream that it would be a boy and it’s always exciting when those come true ;)
View attachment 71568
I know I'm late to the game, but congratulations! Our first grandchild a boy was born on the same day as your post! March 26th! 💞

Latest posts