SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going through your thread and enjoying it, I'm glad that you were able to come back to the farm life! Quick question...I think I'm going to build a salad bar for my chicks. It will be awhile before we let them out into their free range pen and I would love to supplement their diet with fresh greens. What kind of greens did you plant for them...thank you!
Welcome and thanks! :frow Glad you enjoyed reading my journal! I’m kind of a feast or famine poster, so it’s fairly short but covers several years lol
I haven’t planted my salad bar yet this year. Last year I mostly planted grass and wheat grass. I also tried planting some various leafy greens, but they didn’t do very well. When (if) I manage to get it planted this year, I’m going to stick to just the grasses and, actually, I might try clover too 🤔 Some varieties get pretty tall.

@Bruce I’m thinking it’s safer for us if we’re limited to only having a certain number of animals. I think we both have a tendency to conveniently forget that it’s just the two of us and we can only do (and afford) so much :rolleyes:
I really should cut back more, if anything :hide

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do grow oregano in my front garden. I typically dry it for the winter and offer it and cayenne pepper (sometimes garlic too) to my birds for prevention purposes along with the ACV they pretty much always get in their water. I honestly don’t know if I’m just lucky enough to have really hardy stock or if the natural boosters I give them are just that good. I’m leaning towards the latter 😉

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @SA Farm,

On an unrelated subject, once I finished watching the YouTube video "Be The Light" (see my post on Miss @farmerjan's journal), I looked at the videos the Sass Family Farms had made, and a few of them made me think of you. Maybe you might find them helpful. Here's the link to the list of their videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCen2kssqgYp3-eWz-t9TmJw/videos .

Senile Texas Aggie

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome and thanks! :frow Glad you enjoyed reading my journal! I’m kind of a feast or famine poster, so it’s fairly short but covers several years lol
I haven’t planted my salad bar yet this year. Last year I mostly planted grass and wheat grass. I also tried planting some various leafy greens, but they didn’t do very well. When (if) I manage to get it planted this year, I’m going to stick to just the grasses and, actually, I might try clover too 🤔 Some varieties get pretty tall.

@Bruce I’m thinking it’s safer for us if we’re limited to only having a certain number of animals. I think we both have a tendency to conveniently forget that it’s just the two of us and we can only do (and afford) so much :rolleyes:

Not sure if it grows up that way, but oregano is good for fowl....it is a natural immune system booster....we had a whole bed of it for the ducks and chickens...and us, of course.... :)

I do grow oregano in my front garden. I typically dry it for the winter and offer it and cayenne pepper (sometimes garlic too) to my birds for prevention purposes along with the ACV they pretty much always get in their water. I honestly don’t know if I’m just lucky enough to have really hardy stock or if the natural boosters I give them are just that good. I’m leaning towards the latter 😉

Thank you for the welcome! 💞

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions of what to plant! Now, I just need to get my spot prepared and get it growing! 😊

I give both my chickens & rabbits ACV and I've wanted to start adding herbs to their diet too!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Geez that is WAY too reasonable and adult of you!! Now, back to animal math :D

Not sure if it grows up that way, but oregano is good for fowl....it is a natural immune system booster....we had a whole bed of it for the ducks and chickens...and us, of course.... :)
Hmm, I have oregano, comes back every year. Never thought to give it to the hens.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
So good to have warm weather finally! Plants have moved outside and I’ve got my herbs and some leafy greens planted. Hoping to do some more tomorrow - Saturday at the latest. DH has to get the lawn mowed as well, so I spent much of today picking up all the sticks, branches, and twigs that have fallen over the winter and spring. DH had to help me with a few branches that were more like small-medium size trees! We’re going to have quite the bonfire sometime this summer 😁
My geese should be going to their new home tomorrow which will give me a whole new area to work in. I’m intending for their run to be empty for a while, so I’m going to pull their pool out, rake the ground so it’s even, line the fence with chicken wire to keep little faces in, and seed the whole thing with grasses and weeds. Phew. Just writing about all that work is tiring lol
I’m going to move one of my broody turkeys into the indoor goose pen with some eggs once I get that all cleaned up and they can go into the green once it’s established later on.
When I’m tired of working outside, I’ve become a pest to DH about getting things cleaned up, organized, and ready for baby. I suppose it’s about time I started “nesting” lol
Our basement is large, but contains about 4 households worth of stuff, so it needs to be purged a bit and the storage stacked neatly so it stops driving me crazy.
Is it sad we’ve been back from Alberta nearly two years and DH never finished unpacking his stuff? I must pat myself in the back that I got mine done the same year 😝
Yay for spring cleaning! :yesss:

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So good to have warm weather finally! Plants have moved outside and I’ve got my herbs and some leafy greens planted. Hoping to do some more tomorrow - Saturday at the latest. DH has to get the lawn mowed as well, so I spent much of today picking up all the sticks, branches, and twigs that have fallen over the winter and spring. DH had to help me with a few branches that were more like small-medium size trees! We’re going to have quite the bonfire sometime this summer 😁
My geese should be going to their new home tomorrow which will give me a whole new area to work in. I’m intending for their run to be empty for a while, so I’m going to pull their pool out, rake the ground so it’s even, line the fence with chicken wire to keep little faces in, and seed the whole thing with grasses and weeds. Phew. Just writing about all that work is tiring lol
I’m going to move one of my broody turkeys into the indoor goose pen with some eggs once I get that all cleaned up and they can go into the green once it’s established later on.
When I’m tired of working outside, I’ve become a pest to DH about getting things cleaned up, organized, and ready for baby. I suppose it’s about time I started “nesting” lol
Our basement is large, but contains about 4 households worth of stuff, so it needs to be purged a bit and the storage stacked neatly so it stops driving me crazy.
Is it sad we’ve been back from Alberta nearly two years and DH never finished unpacking his stuff? I must pat myself in the back that I got mine done the same year 😝
Yay for spring cleaning! :yesss:
Made me tired just reading about everything you need to get done & I'm not even expecting...lol!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is it sad we’ve been back from Alberta nearly two years and DH never finished unpacking his stuff?
Nope, it means he doesn't need that stuff! DW has a ton of boxes she hasn't (and probably never will) look in. Two have been sitting next to her place at the dining table since early March. They were moved from the mudroom I needed to put tile in where they sat for 2 years. I think a lot of it can be tossed but she won't "find the time" to look.