SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Almost there! I got Woolfie out to test the height and whatnot since she’s our largest sheep. Just need the stanchion and a few finishing touches and I can get to work!
58842776-F8DA-4535-B2F9-019BC9CED972.jpegF875EFE6-8BAE-438A-A77B-1ABA76213063.jpeg
I got so much work done the last few days and still feel like I’ve barely put a dent in all that I need to do :th
DH is out right now hopefully finishing up the stand so I can start shearing. Once that’s done, I suppose I’ll get a break with the rain tomorrow before getting more done.
I really hope Woolfie lambs this year so I don’t have to cull her 😔 Her being my first sheep, her size and conformation, and wool are great features, but I can’t keep a sheep just for wool and nostalgia. It would be different if she was older and had earned her retirement. Come on, Woolfie! :fl
Yeah, there’s absolutely no reason she shouldn’t be bred. She’s 2, she’s in great shape, super healthy, well rounded without being fat...I was thinking just to keep her as a wool pet, a companion for Dingo, maybe teach her to pull a cart or something for baby lol - but she’s also a bit of a bully with the other sheep. I had Coy out to meet them all face to face (Dingo was locked up) and Woolfie was just ramming her constantly 🤦‍♀️ Foxy and Kit were fine with Coy though. Sigh.
If I can get her to accept Coy, I might still keep her for the above reasons....

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Done! DH made it so the stanchion is completely adjustable, the sides can both be removed at two levels, and the ramp comes off too! It’s heavy duty and works really well. I just need a chair or stool for myself on the sides, but I managed to get Foxy shorn :yesss: Only took an hour and a half 😊 She was very good, though she wasn’t a fan of going up the ramp or getting her feet done. She’s a little long in the toe. I need to work on them some more to really clean them up, but they’re much better than they were.
BEB509F6-3D1A-47D4-94BE-932442715640.jpeg2E28B65D-5920-450D-8339-7DC8D183DC10.jpeg1242E456-8DA8-4D7C-AE84-99A2D9388F97.jpeg
I think she looks a lot better than last year! I’m still quite hesitant... I should’ve cleaned up her neck/chest a bit more, but I was getting tired and my hand shears were starting to dull. I’m still proud of myself for getting her done. I’m now quite glad it’s supposed to rain. I think I need a few days before doing another one 😋
1 down, 3 1/2 to go (Woolfie’s half done lol)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
A hint for cochin fertility.... if you are not going to show them, you need to clip the feathers.... lower side of the rooster and top/back of the cochin female tail near the vent. Often the male cannot make good contact with the female due to the fluffiness. We used to clip a little off both the male and female, as the more "fluff" the better the show bird....but it is detrimental to fertility, especially early in the season.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Foxy looks good, you did a great shearing on her. SUPER nice stanchion! Your husband made you a beautiful stanchion.

Keeping Wolfie for her wool is no different than Keeping a wether for wool. You love her, she is your first sheep and a pet. She has lovely wool and you would miss her.
Thanks! Yes, he’s an excellent builder which is why I didn’t put something together before now! I knew whatever he made would be significantly better 😂

It’s true. I’m just making sure I make the right decision for everybody involved - including the other sheep. If it wasn’t for her bully behaviour, she wouldn’t even be considered for the cull list :rolleyes:

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Woolfie is finally almost done. Spent an hour and a half on her today and still have a ways to go. She’s a lot harder to do than Foxy since her wool is much thicker. It’s more difficult to tell the difference between her wool and skin, so I tend to cut too much on the safe side...which means I have to basically shear her two or three times to clean her up. I think I’m going to use the electric shears on her from now on. At least it’ll be a little faster 😝 Still have lots of nice wool to process this winter from her though 😊 So, even though I still have a few things to do on her, I’m going to say 2 down, 3 to go 😂 I was too tired when I was done to get a pic.
Ducklings are hatching now. Got some chicks on lockdown as well. I may be keeping one of the ducklings...just because I’m me 🤷‍♀️ DH ordered some female ducklings, so my plan is to have 3 total. We’ll see how it goes lol
5B2EE262-26C1-4DA1-A807-A4C7D1853868.jpeg
Oh, and thanks for the tip @farmerjan I had 9/12 fertile in the next batch set, but I think I’ll still have to make my Cochins all just a little less fluffy 😄 Just gotta get up the energy. Next rainy day, perhaps 🤔

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Duckling hatch is done and the extras (including this one) have all gone to their new homes. I did keep one and named it Wonder (for the chocolate bar). It will live with my chicks and I am going to spend time with it to tame it up.
E0B63500-146B-4476-900B-5DC20B2EED9F.jpeg
Got the Cochin pen expanded with an extra 10’ chain link panel with a door on it. They were thrilled, of course. Their run is significantly bigger and it was already plenty big for the number of birds I usually have in there. But, bigger is always better 😋
55213736-E0B4-4A9D-A62F-8F0F98E2635C.jpeg

Got a bunch of rain over the weekend, so the pond out back is pretty full. Walked over with the sheep today.
D21C02B8-0B2E-487F-B218-D56B828CC63D.jpegA26E252E-DC1A-43CE-BDDD-E39981598989.jpeg
And just look at the length of Coy’s staple 😍 I can hardly wait to get her done so I can start playing with it. I know it’s not high on my priority list, but I’m still excited about it lol
9C19DADF-3AF2-42A7-B032-08E8389A71CB.jpeg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finished Woolfie. Just needed to clean up her mutton chops and belly and give her a pedicure. Did all that, then got Kit done.
Kit is my wild child since I never really spent a whole lot of time on her....she was not a fan of being contained...:tongue
But now she’s done and non the worse for wear despite what she may think 🙄😋
3 down, 2 to go.
Here’s a pic of Wonder duckling since I was too tired to get one of Kit. Maybe I’ll remember to do a before and after of Coy or Dingo lol
C67E8929-9978-4B25-A360-F5FDEE2DD524.jpeg

Latest posts