SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve been making drop spindles with the idea of selling them with some of my processed wool in the future. I’d like to be able to put them on my website eventually.
Completely designed, painted, and bejewelled by DH and myself. It’s actually pretty fun, but extremely time consuming. Between supplies, making them, and processing the wool, I have no idea what they’re worth!

Trust me, this pic doesn’t do them justice! They’re so pretty, I just really want to keep them for myself 😝😍
(The little one actually is for me 😉)
4E104E4E-D3D0-4669-88CF-17952A1FA22A.jpeg

The weather has been soggy and we still haven’t had the first frost. Annoying since that means the mosquitoes are still active. I need to get stuff done outside, but don’t feel like dousing myself in repellent to stay out longer than it takes to do basic chores.
Hopefully next week will be cold enough to kill them off and I can start pestering DH into helping me with some heavy lifting and winterizing 😎
My to-do list is never ending :rolleyes:

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those are artwork! So pretty.
The art work is nice but I have no idea what people pay for a drop spindle. Do they generally want fancy or is functionality the only important thing?
I love how they’re turning out! But...the artwork is for sure secondary to functionality. I plan to do a test run with each spindle to make sure they work well and find out if they have any quirks before even attempting to advertise.
The cheap wooden ones from China I got to start with were around $10, I think. The ones I’ve seen advertised by actual woodworkers/artisans tend to be closer to $50. I’m not a woodworker and my materials aren’t super expensive, so I’m going to stay on the low cost end for sure.

I just really want to keep this one! 😍
BFE25D17-759D-438A-A263-B2928D830D0C.jpeg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oops, posted that too quickly 😝
Today I got DH to help me fix my sheep stand (Woolfie broke it when I sheared her this spring 🤦‍♀️) so I could do some hoof trimming. I used to only do it once a year, but Foxy’s hooves in particular were so bad (long in the toe) this spring that I thought it would be best to do up it to a biannual event.
Anyway, got the stand fixed up again (back to not pretty but functional) and got Foxy and Kit done and discovered that Kit has, I believe, Shelly hoof! Supposedly caused by wet and/or rocky ground or maybe a nutritional imbalance (in other words, they don’t know) and is just a matter of keeping the hoof carefully trimmed and dry on not-too-hard ground. Easy peasy! Glad I caught it! Of course it was the last hoof I did and after I’d already wrestled Foxy and three toes worth of Kit, I was too tired to think of taking pics or anything 😔 Next time.
Got this pic the other day though 😎
0FB693EF-A388-4E1F-BBC1-E27E6E109817.jpeg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Happy hug a sheep day! I didn’t participate since it’s been raining for two days and the sheep are all inside, busy demolishing my winter hay supply 😂 Hopefully they can go back out tomorrow. If they aren’t too damp/gross, I’ll hug them then lol.

DH and I have a lot of work to get done once things dry up. I still have Woolfie and Coy to hoof trim and a bunch of little things I want to get finished up soon. Nothing is really urgent, but I finally scheduled surgery for my gallbladder to be removed (🥺) and I want things as easy as possible for DH since he’s not really a fan of doing all my chores!

This is the first pumpkin I’ve carved in many many years since DH wanted baby to experience it (from a safe distance).
BEEB2639-72D0-496A-B263-6885D4A73CC8.jpeg

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @SA Farm,

Good luck on the gall bladder surgery! I had mine removed about 10 years ago. They used laproscopic (sp?) surgery to remove it. I was surprised that I was in so much pain for several days after the surgery. (I admit that I am a wimp.) With you being younger and having gone through the pain of giving birth recently, it will probably be nothing and you will be up and tending to your baby and all of the animals the next day! :)

Senile Texas Aggie