SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sitting on the porch this afternoon, just lounging with DH while DS plays and I hear a strange plonk sound by my feet. I, of course, look over suspiciously at DH since the “projectile” came from that direction, but he’s actually innocent (for once 😂).
It was a frog. I’ve never seen one like this before! Probably because of the camouflage lol
Camo-frog — no the pic is not altered at all other than being cropped.
C0F5E1B7-2A75-4E55-9DB6-63E1809E7C87.jpeg

Dingo wanted a photo shoot and some loving today, so he got his wish…and a handful of grain lol
872C9B92-EA77-44FE-AEB5-3119090D7EA3.jpeg
35F6796A-DA32-4455-BEB2-C4D2F8D06D1F.jpeg
How are they even related??? Dingo is his DAD. A full 50% of his DNA. How do they look absolutely nothing alike? Nothing! 😝 I could post his picture and I highly doubt anyone would ever guess that little ram lamb is 3/8 East Friesian 1/8 Charolais 😂 They would probably easily guess the 1/4 Jacob, maybe but not likely the 1/4 Calico.
9FCC2AC8-AB26-4B2E-AF0D-86EF8A1536B4.jpeg
I think I’ve changed my mind and might winter Coy’s little ram lamb after all. He just is too tiny to process right now and he’s doing such a good job being Dingo’s companion…and I’m considering giving him the opportunity to breed Doll later on. It would certainly make for a very nice easy first lambing for her…I’m still thinking that part over, but it definitely has some potential. I can always give her to Dingo later in case the little guy isn’t up for the job.
5CFBDCF4-5636-41BE-BFCA-5DB2EE8768B4.jpeg

DH picked up the final piece I need for the new stand I built. A bolt to go through the arm of the stanchion that will move. I’ll probably grab one of the girls to test it out before trying to get Dingo on it. I did build a little step to go with it, just in case they need it. If not, well, I’ll find another use for it. I like to work sitting down (back and knee issues), so I’m sure it’ll come in handy.
The best part is the entire stand was built with stuff we already had (except the bolt lol). The plan is to use it for Dingo and also possibly as a milk stand that I can keep in the barn now that the entire barn is for the sheep.
I put Kit on the “usual” stand this evening and got her toes trimmed. Just Coy left for the breeding ewes. Dingo will be next, but not until I’m ready to (figure out how to) put the breeding harness on him. I’m going to have to work on Doll and Coy’s boy too, but no rush at all, which is nice.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love reading about your sheep adventures. I've decided to build a wood stanchion for trimming feet. I have the expanded metal goat milking stanchion and the sheep don't like it. I'm watching how your new stanchion works for you!

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love reading about your sheep adventures. I've decided to build a wood stanchion for trimming feet. I have the expanded metal goat milking stanchion and the sheep don't like it. I'm watching how your new stanchion works for you!
Thanks @Baymule you’re the best :hugs

When it’s finally done and I’m ready to test it out, I’ll see if I can do a video on all the pieces and parts and post it here for you—for inspiration 😋

Today and tomorrow are supposed to be hot, then the temps are supposed to drop! Still no frost warning, which is good for my plants, but it does mean that the mosquitoes will live to bite another day. Can’t wait for the bugs to all die!
I’ve been carefully checking Famancha on the girls since Doll arrived. Hers was perfect, but I know that the bugs she grew up with are probably different than what my gals grew up with, so thought I should keep an eye on them.
Sure enough, Kit’s score is quite low now compared to a week ago. Foxy and Coy are low, but not terrible, so all 4 got dosed with the garlic powder/blackstrap molasses recipe I wrote down ages ago that I think I got from @Mike CHS ’s journal.
Planning to repeat once a week until after a frost to be safe. Maybe one of you knows if I need to do it more often? With typical deworming, it’s 10 days between treatments and only 2 doses. Not sure if the homeopathic option needs to be significantly more intensive or if my plan will be sufficient…?

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Vet’s coming out Monday, so we’ll get those fecals done. I want to make sure that if I need to use dewormer, that I can get it done before my girls get bred. I don’t like using dewormers—even the “safe” ones for pregnant animals. I don’t think it’ll be a problem, but, you know, better safe than sorry 😊

Today I had a fun surprise! A flock of wild turkeys strolling through my backyard. Young ones from the look of them. 2 jakes, 5 jennys. I’ve heard them around when I had my own turkeys, so I wonder if my Tom gobbling kept them away? I’m not sure, but it was nice to see turkeys around again.
4265D7D2-D659-4559-A527-791A251F9A91.jpeg

We visited some family and they had a sand pile that DS was completely enamoured with 😂
He buried his hand and thought it was hilarious.
1CD30011-D47B-4155-8F88-A318093BBA7F.jpeg
He also wanted me to take a picture of his boot print lol. I like his shadow over it 🥰
A7A3AF69-4CAC-42E5-AB3D-4E5C1A1F38CA.jpeg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dogs in the neighborhood all going crazy this evening—including our ancient beagle! Went out on the porch and just stood in the dark listening for a few minutes.
Coyote yipping and crying.
Scary close.
Went out and brought the sheep into the barn, so they’re extra secure for the night. Coyotes tend to do a lot more damage in a lot less time than dogs and you know how much trouble we’ve had with dogs 😳 Most dogs won’t even try to climb a 6ft fence, but a coyote can clear one. Dogs will dig, but not usually as quickly since they tend to get caught up running in circles of psychotic excitement instead.
Times like this I really wish I could keep an LGD here. But 2 acres and 6 sheep just isn’t enough work/space for one and we have neighbours all around us that probably wouldn’t be too impressed by the extra loud barking. Not to mention the fencing issues.
At least it’s not the mountain lion that was reportedly seen in the area about a month ago. Theory was that it was from a small zoo less than half an hour away from here.

Ah, the stresses of owning livestock. They’re never ending.

Hopefully mama cat stays hunkered down with her littles. She moved them out of the window well again (it’s been an ongoing battle) and I decided to let her have her way since I know where they are and she has multiple escape routes—something she doesn’t have in the window well.

Well, now that things are locked up and the adrenaline from my adventures in the dark with loose sheep running around with known predators nearby (did Kit come straight inside with the rest? No. No, she didn’t. Not with a tasty bush next to the barn door 🤦‍♀️) has worn off, it’s time for bed. The barn doesn’t have a latch on the inside, so it just pushes open until I latch it from the outside, so Doll had to go out and join her, then Coy and Foxy left too. Finally got the straw down and the grain in the bucket and got them locked up. Stupid sheep! 😆
At least the rams behaved 😂

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score

Hope the link works.
I finished my stand and used Coy to test it out! So she’s all set for the fall now.
Just need to attach a feed dish to the front, but it’s not strictly necessary. I also discovered that it needs some weight on the back. Coy lunged forward a few times while I was trimming her back feet and it felt a little unstable. Either a cinder block on the back or something on the front to brace it better.
Just a minor adjustment.

All is well otherwise. I should be hearing back from the vet regarding fecals tomorrow, so that’ll give me a good idea of my next step for Kit in particular. He did agree with me that she was a little pale compared to the others. He also agreed with me that Foxy is in good shape, but could use a bit more grain compared to the others, so she’s getting fed separately to make sure she gets enough. I don’t want her to struggle to feed her lambs once she’s bred.

Just Dingo left for pre-breeding hoof trim/exam/etc and we’re ready to put them together within the next week or two. I’ll still get Doll and Coy’s boy on the stand, but Dingo is the priority. I’m a little worried about it since he’s in full ram mode with the weather. He’ll be the true test of the stand. If it can handle his size and strength, we’re definitely good!

Latest posts