1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. On Jan. 1, 2017, antibiotic use on farms will become more restricted as a result of the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD). Learn more about calf nutrition supplements and calf health here!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official BYH Caption Contest - Pic by Sfogg
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Featured Thread: Orphaned Spanish goats
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Saanen milk??? Bitter?

Discussion in 'Behaviors & Handling Techniques - Goats' started by misfitmorgan, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Jul 5, 2016
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Loving the herd life

Anyone ever notice Saanen milk tasting almost bitter? Our doe's milk all has a bitter taste to it and i have no idea why i have never tasted any goat milk like it.

Is it possibly something lacking in her diet....or are Saanen's just different for milk i know they have a low butterfat. Our Alpine's always tasted good, i have thought about pasturizing her milk just to see if it gets the bitter part out. Its just missing the sweet flavor milk normally has that im used too.

2. Jul 5, 2016
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

It may very well just be the Saanen milk. I don't particularly care for the Saanen milk I have had to drink. But it could also be diet. See if you can find a cobalt block for her to lick on, it is supposed to help with milk flavor.

3. Jul 5, 2016
    Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer True BYH Addict

x2

I have heard that Saanen milk isn't that great for drinking...

4. Jul 6, 2016
    misfitmorgan

Maybe thats it....i tasted the mini la mancha's milk and its fine. Plan on cheese with the Saanen milk so shall see.

i did not realize Hoeggers shipping was so slooowwww. i have my culture from New england cheese already and waiting on Hoegger's.

5. Jul 6, 2016
    misfitmorgan

i shall look for a cobalt block.

6. Jul 6, 2016
    GAF

GAF Chillin' with the herd

Our Saanen's milk tasted off when we first started milking her, but now it doesn't at all...
    In my experience, pasteurizing eliminates any goaty flavor, but I have no idea why☺

7. Jul 6, 2016
    GAF

GAF Chillin' with the herd

Although, the pasteurized goat milk at the store tastes awful! ( in my opinion)

8. Jul 6, 2016
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

I AGREE, it is nasty.
    The trick to good milk IMO is milk clean, milk fast, chill even faster. :) If you pasteurize use stainless steel, no aluminum, and chill as fast as you can afterwards. An ice bath is ideal and a salted ice bath is even better. @Southern by choice says that her milk is better if she chills and then pasteurizes and then chills again. I have no experience with that as I pasteurize when warm and then chill but have never tried it the other way.

Some goats just have better milk too.