Saanen milk??? Bitter?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anyone ever notice Saanen milk tasting almost bitter? Our doe's milk all has a bitter taste to it and i have no idea why i have never tasted any goat milk like it.

Is it possibly something lacking in her diet....or are Saanen's just different for milk i know they have a low butterfat. Our Alpine's always tasted good, i have thought about pasturizing her milk just to see if it gets the bitter part out. Its just missing the sweet flavor milk normally has that im used too.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It may very well just be the Saanen milk. I don't particularly care for the Saanen milk I have had to drink. But it could also be diet. See if you can find a cobalt block for her to lick on, it is supposed to help with milk flavor.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe thats it....i tasted the mini la mancha's milk and its fine. Plan on cheese with the Saanen milk so shall see.

i did not realize Hoeggers shipping was so slooowwww. i have my culture from New england cheese already and waiting on Hoegger's.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It may very well just be the Saanen milk. I don't particularly care for the Saanen milk I have had to drink. But it could also be diet. See if you can find a cobalt block for her to lick on, it is supposed to help with milk flavor.

i shall look for a cobalt block.

GAF

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our Saanen's milk tasted off when we first started milking her, but now it doesn't at all...
In my experience, pasteurizing eliminates any goaty flavor, but I have no idea why☺

GAF

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Although, the pasteurized goat milk at the store tastes awful! ( in my opinion)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Although, the pasteurized goat milk at the store tastes awful! ( in my opinion)

I AGREE, it is nasty.
The trick to good milk IMO is milk clean, milk fast, chill even faster. :) If you pasteurize use stainless steel, no aluminum, and chill as fast as you can afterwards. An ice bath is ideal and a salted ice bath is even better. @Southern by choice says that her milk is better if she chills and then pasteurizes and then chills again. I have no experience with that as I pasteurize when warm and then chill but have never tried it the other way.

Some goats just have better milk too.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Saanen & SaanenXNubians give me delish milk (used raw). I do chill fast! But, love their milk. Always rave reviews by any who have tried it, also. Mine browse, graze & get feed at milking. Yeah old thread but --

Latest posts