Saanen vs. Nubian

Plazyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
White Mountains Ranch - that thought has crossed my mind. - thanks

Plazyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Michichenwrangler - thanks Nubians are easier to find her too. Not many people have Reg. Saanen animals and if they do they want a fortune.

Plazyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
True BYH Addict - thanks that is something to think about my son wants a ND.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you did crossbreed the resulting offspring are called Saanubians. The Nubian is known for being the breed with the highest butter fat content in it's milk and the Saanen is known for being the breed with the most milk production of all breeds. So it stands to reason that the crossbred offspring will produce a lot of very rich buttery milk. Don't know from experience but I have read lots of stuff on dairy goats both purebred and crossbred.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
ThreeBoysChicks said:
Ultimately you can do whatever you want. Are your does registered? If you get a registered Nubian buck, I think you can still register the babies as experimental, but you should check with ADGA.

I love my Nubians. I have a LaMancha doeling that will ultimately be bred to my Nubian Buck and I know they can be registered.
A cross between two full blooded, registered, standard dairy goats is a "Recorded Grade"

Most ADGA sanctioned shows include Recorded Grades in the line up. I've actually seen a Recorded Grade win best in show.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Try a Spanish herdsire. Toughens up your herd genetics. Less hoof/parasite problems and will tighten up offsprings' udders and cure pendulous udders.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Plazyfarm said:
Straw Hat Kikos - what is a Kiko?
Straw Hat, your not going to tell them what Kiko is?

I was just waiting for you to give them the link to your page. :)

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
I have a Sanubian and she is wonderful she is 50/50 but her daughter is 75/25 the 75 being Nubian and she is actually bigger than her dam. I would seriously think before making a mini Saanen (IMO) I loved my ND but I prefer my standards I have a mini boer wether and he will be going to the butcher soon.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Plazyfarm said:
Michichenwrangler - thanks Nubians are easier to find her too. Not many people have Reg. Saanen animals and if they do they want a fortune.

Well there ya go! You know there's a market for the purebreds if they are so expensive! ;)