SAD SAD DAY

hitnspit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
With no sign we have had both jersey calves die. Both 3.5 months old. Eating and drinking just fine one day and then nothing the next day. The older one went first and now the younger one. All happen so fast. Any clue from anyone what might of happened to them. They Have Been IN The barn. Each have there own pen. 12 X 16 kept clean. Did everything by the book. This is pretty depressing. Thanks

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no idea either, and am so sorry for your loss. Is there a possibility of having a necropsy done?

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

You will need to get a necropsy done on both to know for sure what they died of. Sudden death syndrome isn't unheard of in cattle, and can be caused by anything from clostridial bacteria (specifically Clostridium perfringens, types and classes vary) to intestinal diseases causing hemorrhaging, or something else entirely. Whatever it is, it's something that got into their systems and developed enough toxicity that killed them hours later.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry. I wish I could help, but a hug will have to do. :hugs

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What have you been feeding them? Vaccinations? Parasites? Adequate minerals/salt? Exposure to other animals? Many possibilities. Sorry for your loss.