SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Day Two of Lambs
Since everything has been going well, and yesterday the Bigs visited through the corral fence, I let them all out together. The Lambs bounced all around. It was a day of bounce around, investigate, eat, eat, nap, eat, nap, bounce bounce, repeat. The trio spent most of the day under the big old oak tree (pretty sure a California Live Oak) in the bottom corner of the pasture. I should've got a real camera out to take a pic. Maybe tomorrow.
Being a Typical Tuesday I was able to keep tabs on them as I did the dirty job (clean/strip stalls) and listen to Mr Dirty Jobs - Mike Rowe podcast. Some dear friends who I share sheep with came over to check out the trailer and of course the lambs. Bonus - money for the sheep we sent to auction too.
Got my normal barn chores done, made a lot of "I'm going to go check on the sheep" trips. All is not visible from the house - makes for good exercise with a positive reward.
Lamb-Cam is all set up in The Little's stall - and yes, I checked it several times last night and this morning before I went over :D =D.
Some pics........
Whatcha' doin' in there?
IMG_3070.jpeg

Eatin'
IMG_3071.jpeg

Go on, go out and say hi
IMG_3074.jpeg

You too...
IMG_3077.jpeg

Well, Hello There
IMG_3085.jpeg

Let me tell you a secret...
IMG_3089.jpeg

Last edited:

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a regular day - sort of. Walking of to the barn to let the sheep out and sort some off for lessons. Closer to the house than the barn (good) Obi and I stopped cold. About 50 ft from us something else did the same. A coyote. 😧
My first thought was 'damn I should have my gun'. When we go out to graze I do - but we were just going to the barn. Crud. I told Obi to "Stay" and I yelled (ROAR, BARK, ROAR) and waved my arms - the coyote started to almost lope off - not good enough - so I gave chase yelling ROAR, BARK, STAY (reinforce Obi) and said coyote decided I meant business and took off.
Thursday mornings I'm around the arenas and barn and other people and dogs are here too - good timing for me in case Ol' Wiley Coyote decided to check back.
Backing up in time to last night, I'm about to go to bed when DH says - 'You need to get to the barn - something's up. but it's not really bad' - so I head out there as I left the house he said 'the sheep are in the aisle, be careful when you open the door.' I open the door and peer in and say "What ARE you guys doing?" It was the 6 Ol' Sheep. They picked their heads up and looked at me as if to said "Nothin' " and they all lined up single file and calmly walked back into their stall. :lol:. I'll take the blame - I hadn't latched the door - my bad and they of course had a party with the hay that I had set out for morning. :lol:
Looking for a vet - I've got a call in to one that my friend had said he used. I just want him to come out and do a check and to have things set that he's been here before I need a vet in a hurry. Waiting on a call back.
And of course some lamb pics .....
IMG_3214.jpeg

Look into my eyes, you are getting sleeeeepy, very sleeeeepy.

IMG_3219.jpeg

I'm bigger than ewwwwwe.
.....................................................................................

IMG_3237.jpeg

What's that?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yup, I’ll be carrying all the time now. Such is life, I’m a good shot and they know it. It’s been since mid spring that they’ve come close. Must be that time of year again.
The lambs are soooo stinkin cute.
This just happened putting them away - she came up to Obi nose to nose!
9CD79507-6F82-4E41-88C5-9A1602E63518.jpeg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a picture that should be hanging on the wall! At the very least, enter it in POW. I love her markings, what's her name?
Thanks!! I should. :)
My friend who just lost her heart dog the same day the lambs were born named the ewe lamb after her dog - Jasmine.
The dog in the pic is Obi Wan.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's been a couple of days. Things around here have been rolling along. We've had a few days of fog lasting late - I'm sure the vineyard folks are pleased with that. :) 🍷. It's kept things cool-ish. Long sleeve weather for us - probably short and tank top for the rest of you ;)
I spent time just watching the sheep, and the lambs. They all look fine. Then - I watched very closely. I don't think they are getting enough milk when they nurse. Watch and watch more - tails aren't doing that mile a minute wag. At best there is may 10 seconds of wag. There is a lot of testing out one teat and then going for the other. This is not what I remember from the big flocks that I worked that were not mine. Perhaps I'm over-thinking. But it looks so similar to what I've seen in dogs when a teat runs dry (usually from a sib draining it). They look good, have a good activity level, but the vigorous nursing is not happening. I decided if I ~think~ they are not getting enough, then they are not. If I'm way off base let me know. They have access to alfalfa and water - though mostly that's mom's. I'm keeping the trio separate in their own stall/jug. Mom is attentive to them and very much bonded, so that's not the issue. I think she just doesn't have enough or is drying up. I checked her udder and it feels normal, I can get some milk out - though I'm not well practiced in milking - other than dog litters and keeping track of things there. I did get Lamb Milk Replacer and the two lambs are getting supplemented with that.
So that's been my last two days - and of course had other dog stuff I did today with the old girl (almost 14) Halo at a scentwork trial - just for her to have fun (she nailed the hide - WTG for a retired dog).
Hello - do you have something for us?

IMG_3301.jpeg

Now what do I do? Chew? Bring it to you? Spit it out? Strip the little leaves?

IMG_3308.jpeg

Latest posts