SageHill Ranch Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very handsome fellow! At 7 weeks, he’s showing good conformation, round hindquarters, long in the loin. Do you plan on keeping him for a flock sire?

SageHill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks! That’s my plan. It was all in hopes he’d be put together well. Looks like I’m on the right path. 😊

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks! That’s my plan. It was all in hopes he’d be put together well. Looks like I’m on the right path. 😊
They can change as they mature, going from fantastic to not so much. And the other way around. Most of the time, a good one is easy to spot, as they grow, they just get better. I think he’s a fine looking ram lamb, even at his young age.

SageHill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They can change as they mature, going from fantastic to not so much. And the other way around. Most of the time, a good one is easy to spot, as they grow, they just get better. I think he’s a fine looking ram lamb, even at his young age.
Ah yeah - just like puppies into dogs. I’ve seen great ones turn into mediocre. Keeping my fingers crossed.

SageHill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Grabbed a quick breakfast sandwich and was out the door with Obi to graze the sheep. I decided to try an area where DH wants to store stuff. I checked and liked it - but for sheep! We took the sheep in and let them settle for awhile. I think I saw ~maybe 2-3 put their heads down to sample the greens. That was it. It turned into a stand around and do nothing. Sigh. But I can let DH have that area to store stuff. It has easy access for vehicles which makes it pretty prime for him.
Since that's on the north side we took the north ranch road ever so slowly to the meadow. Tried grazing on one of the north hills - but the sheep just said "No, we're going to just stand around" -- OK I get it they don't want to graze downhill. They like going up, not so much down. I don't blame them. It's also something I ran into last year. We'll get there, as there are ways to get to that hill from the down side and go up. Got down to the meadow and they were happy.
Headed back to the barn using the south road. Yesterday I'd noticed some of the fencing I'd reinforced earlier this year because critters - most likely coyotes - had massively dug under - needed more tacking down to the existing fence. It looked like whoever the "engineer' was had tried to get out. Though my original plan to take the north side road wouldn't take me there I still grabbed the hog rings and pliers 'just in case'. Glad I did. I spent ~15-20 minutes tacking the additional fencing to the original rusting 4x4. Obi kept the sheep in place - either munching or standing - I really don't know because I wasn't watching them. He did his job, I took care of the fence, and we continued back to the barn.
OH and while I was on the ground working on the fence, I saw this plant - kind of pretty, very tiny and delicate. I snapped the pic and continued with what I was doing. .....
IMG_4505.jpeg

I just checked to see what it is and according to the phone it's ...
Smallseed Sandmat - sounds interesting then I read the taxon name -
Euphorbia polycarpa --- I think this could be very bad. I know that
ephorbias are pretty nasty things - the sap is something to stay
far away from. Put people in the hospital kind of thing. Firestick cactus is one
that people have trouble with here. I think I'll do a little more research, hoping
perhaps it's more like the sugarbush sumac that is nothing like the poisonous
cousin. But - I'm not holding my breath for an "it's ok".
Going down the south ranch road.
IMG_4484.jpeg

No we don't want to graze downhill....

IMG_4493.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Take a sharp hoe, cut toxic plant off at ground and spray root with a herbicide to kill it. Or get some high powered poison and just spray the plant.

SageHill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Take a sharp hoe, cut toxic plant off at ground and spray root with a herbicide to kill it. Or get some high powered poison and just spray the plant.
Yup - I use a sharpened shovel to scrape things out. I don’t use Roundup. Dig deep and persistence.
In my research on this I found the Indians use it to counteract snake venom (esp rattlers) and poisonous insect bites. Not sure I’d be willing to try that - hope I never have the need! Further investigation showed what I already knew about the sap.
Either way it’ll be outa here.