SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Before and After -----
"Stripe" -- before and after --- I am a green greenhorn at shearing - but getting better with each blow ;) (I hope).
stripeweb.jpg

IMG_8304.jpeg

Stripe actually has more stripes! :D (shearing skills need sharpening ;) - but heck I'm having fun with it).

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hand shears or electric? I have a pair of hand shears for the dreadlocks that don’t shed. Some of my mixed Katahdin and Dorper keep a thatch of wool on top of their backs.
Both :) -- Though Stripe was all electric standing up. Had no help the day I sheared her so standing up it was.
I do think I'll have another go at it with her for what's left on her neck. I am seriously thinking of making a stand of some sort and training them to it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Make your stand out of plywood. I have a goat milking stanchion, supposed to be for sheep too. They hate it, I had to drag them up the ramp, tie them tight and fight with them. Later I found out they don’t like it because they can see through the expanded metal.

My suggestion, solid bottom, hinged drop down solid sides and a solid ramp.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Make your stand out of plywood. I have a goat milking stanchion, supposed to be for sheep too. They hate it, I had to drag them up the ramp, tie them tight and fight with them. Later I found out they don’t like it because they can see through the expanded metal.

My suggestion, solid bottom, hinged drop down solid sides and a solid ramp.
Sounds good!!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
What size comb are you using? The length you have left on Stripe looks longer than what one would end up with using a Camelid comb and they leave more fiber than a sheep comb.
Greenhorn here -- :) --- I have no idea. DH gave me a sheep shearer for Christmas (it was on the list - I forgot I even put one on the list). Right now it's at the barn - I'll look next time I'm over there. I could easily get skin close, but am chicken (I could end up with blue decorated sheep!). I didn't do right around her neck where it looks a bit dreadlock-ish. I could easily take off another inch. Maybe I'll do a second go. If I was a little younger I'd go to shearing school. Yeah -- I like it. :) Maybe I'll give that some more thought since I'm only in my prime! ;)

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
What size comb are you using? The length you have left on Stripe looks longer than what one would end up with using a Camelid comb and they leave more fiber than a sheep comb.
I checked - the comb is 3 1/2 inches, blade 2 1/2