SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love that you take your sheep to graze with the dogs. It's not what I'd do, but I sure enjoy you and your dogs.

Here's a funny for you. Had some friends come over, their grown son was enchanted by "those red dogs" (has he never seen FAWN color?) and he approached the fence. He probably thought he was going to pet them. Well, THAT didn't happen. The Anatolians barked and growled and he backed off. We visited and he remarked that he had a way with animals and dogs liked him. He was plumb bumfuzzled that my dogs didn't like him.

I told him, "Those are GUARD dogs. Stick your hand in there and they will take your arm off." Then I explained to him where they originate and how for a thousand years they have protected the flocks from predators. So Mr. Dog Expert decided he would go out on the front porch to pet Carson, my big black Labrador/Great Dane cross. Carson backed away from him. Mr. Dog Expert walked towards Carson. This made him a threat and Carson stood his ground and barked at him. The dummy showed a glimmer of intelligence and came back in the house. :lol: He just couldn't understand that my dogs didn't like him.

Good dogs!
Awe, Thank you ❤️ . Yeah - we each do what is right for us. For me the dogs got me into the sheep. It's what they DO. I was raised with a mindset if a dog is a _____ and they were bred to _________ then they should. Grew up with Vizslas and my parents hunted, the dogs never missed or lost a bird in the field - I know because I cleaned every stinkin' one of them!:lol: - good eats of course!
So that's how I got into sheep - saw a Belgian Tervuren at a show, got one. Then "tried herding" (that was over 40 yrs ago :ep). I know A LOT of people who started like I did and now have ranches with lots of sheep. So that's why I take them out into areas that are not particularly fenced or fenced well. It's my own "rotational" grazing LOL. While I have a different breed than I started with ( though a "cousin breed") it's still the same.
I'm learning so much from all of you who have come at this from another direction. Good Lordy I'd NEVER in a million years have thought to give them treats, to get them to eat from my hand. Things like that are not done by those who come at this from the competition herding dog world. Yeah - they follow us for hay and such, but it's a totally different picture.
Hoping that I will end up with a blend of both worlds.
Too funny Mr Dog Expert - had me laughing - so many think they know or are dog people - and they have no clue especially with dogs like ours. I'd love to meet yours someday (you too of course :) ) - I bet they'd like me - but it's on their terms in their time not mine if they do. Guardians of course have their own set of rules.
Ah - this morning's fog is lifting and my coffee cup is almost empty.
Keep up the good work on the knee @Baymule you'll be outside with the critters in no time.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got an extra couple hours today - my detection student called and was too sore after PT to work. "No Problem" I said. I find it's always easier to be that way then otherwise, and today I could use the extra time.
Didn't get out to graze the sheep with Obi (was before I knew of the cancellation) - but the walk over to the barn took more time than usual. The fog left "presents" - you'll see. I of course had to take pics. I used to have a photog biz that I specialized in working dogs (easy peasy because I "get it" and know dogs and livestock) and got to shoot for PBR at their World Finals for a few years 'on the dirt'. I've digressed, now you know why I take so many pics even with my dang phone. :lol: And it looks like the sheep decided to "decorate" for Halloween too :lol:.
Sorry - lots of pics in this one.
Back to getting everything in order for tomorrow.
Love the way the fog made the neighbor's avo grove "white" on one side.....
IMG_2950.jpeg

The walk to the barn - I just can't help myself - it takes a little time once in a while...
IMG_2952.jpeg

The sheep are setting up their own Halloween "decorations" .....
IMG_2964.jpeg
IMG_2955.jpeg

... and not to be outdone, one of the pea areas invited a Monster Mush overnight.
IMG_2966.jpeg
IMG_2967.jpeg

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
In a long way around, we got into sheep because of the dogs and we had to first get a dog to get started. :) We had friends that held trials that we had attended several of. We used one of their dogs to at least get started working and long story short, we now have dogs that are good when we let them work but we often have too many to lose the time to let them work. My sheep are so tame that all I do is open a gate and call them in. I do let the sheep graze on their unfenced five acres and the dogs love it.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
In a long way around, we got into sheep because of the dogs and we had to first get a dog to get started. :) We had friends that held trials that we had attended several of. We used one of their dogs to at least get started working and long story short, we now have dogs that are good when we let them work but we often have too many to lose the time to let them work. My sheep are so tame that all I do is open a gate and call them in. I do let the sheep graze on their unfenced five acres and the dogs love it.
Love it! Yeah- I get that too many part. I've always said that those that are using dogs to work want to spend as little time as possible training them because there is no time when things have to get done. Very unlike those who just trial - many spend huge amounts of time working, training, perfecting, fine tuning, etc. And that's ok too for them because they can do it, it's their "golf course" as it were. It's good for the dogs too. I've got one fully trained, one almost there, and two pups who I've started (and two retired).
Our ranch isn't flat - can't see the whole thing without a drone. The coyotes here are active - though thank God not acclimatized to people like the cities. I'd love to let the sheep out all over but it's not practical for us (though the coyotes wouldn't complain). They have a pasture up by the barn that is safe. Yeah an LGD would be possible but I Ive seen a few hop fences around here.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
A quick day before we head off for the truck in IA. A few herding lessons and finish up getting things set for ranch sitters and we're off. From the little I've seen already here looks like ga$ is going to be $$$$$ than it was yesterday.
Grrrr and avoiding that soapbox.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry to say but gas is going to hurt this week compared to the last 2 weeks. Such a shame US little guys are paying for this BS.... and now the gov't is going to "explore all possible domestic options to increase output"...A$$ HOLES... we were there... stopped the pipeline that by now would be bringing in the 2 million barrels a day that OPEC has cut back... and from a NEIGHBOR... not from some hostile bunch of anti-American regimes....:mad:
:rant:somad:he:he:th:th

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry to say but gas is going to hurt this week compared to the last 2 weeks. Such a shame US little guys are paying for this BS.... and now the gov't is going to "explore all possible domestic options to increase output"...A$$ HOLES... we were there... stopped the pipeline that by now would be bringing in the 2 million barrels a day that OPEC has cut back... and from a NEIGHBOR... not from some hostile bunch of anti-American regimes....:mad:
:rant:somad:he:he:th:th
I AM SOOOOO WITH YOU ON THIS.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back home again. DIL and DS did a fabulous job watching the ranch and taking care of all the critters. One of the pups is ~different - she barks at you, then is your friend, then seems to forget and it's rinse and repeat. Sigh. DIL was such a trooper - kept the silly one with her the entire time, basically "tethered together". Ala Monks of New Skete sort of. It helped a lot, but still after 3 1/2 days she said it's like 3 steps forward and 2 steps backward. Silly dog, she has tons of promise working sheep - I hope we can get her over this "stupid" phase. But what a sweetie DIL is to do then - then say she wished she wasn't traveling this month and next so we could keep this up and see where it goes. She'll be gone for 6 weeks so it'll be a back-burner mode for that. I've never had a dog like this so it's a learning experience.
They did great keeping up the gardens and taking care of the sheep. I am so blessed with my family.
The trip half way across the country fly/drive for the truck and trailer was good, albeit a bit tiring. Day one of travel was just the truck. Going down the interstate in MO I barely spied a sign for Polish Pottery. Only one sign, and half covered by trees. Grabbed a quick lunch break and did an internet search and found the place - Renditions Polish Pottery - and it really wasn't too far off the route to OK -- soooooo --- we went. Back roads getting to see Good Ol' USA farm style ❤️ . There is nothing better than seeing the old barns, houses, fields, and equipment. Americana. 🇺🇸
We're following the nav to get to the store - the nav (Son of George - long story for another day) takes the scenic route. No complaints from us :) I fully expect to find a squarish brick building with a parking lot. But NOOOO -
we take the final turn and see this:
IMG_3017.jpeg
IMG_3020.jpeg

Weston, MO
American flags galore, tons of shops, little restaurants, and more. All decked out for fall. We could've spent the entire day there.
The pottery shop was AMAZING. Got a few things and a mug for DIL.

Picked up the trailer the next day in Shawnee OK, Then drove home straight through. Not too bad with two drivers. Though OK - you need to get a little paint and put better striping on your Interstates -- drove through some torrential rain and could barely at best make out the lanes! Thank God there was no wind.
Got home to everything being picture perfect. After we got everything put away I went to check on the sheep. Of course this involved animal crackers (see what you all have done to me?! :lol:). I called "sheeeeeep" and they came running -- actually running not sauntering like usual. I've thought this since The Littles arrived - there may be a lamb on the way. The biggest of The Littles is bagging up. She took her first cracker from me today too.
The gal I got them from had them for ~about 2 months, and said the person she got them from had them in with a ram. They've been here a month. So - that's 3 months no idea when they were put with the ram. Exciting times :)

IMG_3040.jpeg