SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
The days fly by when you are doing something you love.
Do I hear goats in the future? Or are you just going to go visit the neighbor’s goats?
I going to try and stick to visits! They’re definitely a lot different than sheep 🤣.
I think I’ll make a list of “to add” in order
Sheep, horse, LGD.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know, some lamb chops or avocados might be a good trade 🤔? Or just buy some milk from her! Heck, I love my goat milk!! It's great tasting -- and yes, nutritionally too.

Last week I had a glass of purchased -- almost bad, in comparison. Next week I'll begin milk share with these kids. 😁

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know, some lamb chops or avocados might be a good trade 🤔? Or just buy some milk from her! Heck, I love my goat milk!! It's great tasting -- and yes, nutritionally too.

Last week I had a glass of purchased -- almost bad, in comparison. Next week I'll begin milk share with these kids. 😁
😊 I told her to add me to her client list! I’ll gladly pay - 😊 it’ll help on her hay bill 💵.
Not enough avos here and no lamb chops for awhile.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Grazed yesterday and this morning. Yeah, I know - sounds like a broken record - but got to do it while we can - once the ranch browns and the foxtails sharpen up and things heat up (snake season) we do a lot LOT less, and even stop. Sad - but true - don't want the sheep snuffling up a foxtail in the nose, or the dog, or running into rattlesnakes. I love the "cold" here and obviously the green. We'll have it until April-ish. I can already see the vegetation start to look ragged. That's usually the first step before the brown starts. We're getting a few eggs a day now. Not up to a full five, but loving fresh eggs. I bought a new feeder before the rains came - it was ~supposed to keep the rain out. It didn't. It did better than the last one. At any rate it came with a little bag black soldier fly "treats". I've never given my chickens treats - other than garden and kitchen scraps. Holy Moly - they went crazy over them I'd dump a cup of scratch and then sprinkle a few of the "treats" on top. They used to go crazy for the scratch. NO MORE - they go to the scratch and look up and wait for the "treats" or try to jump up to get them. Good Lord - they are monsters now!
🐔👾👾🐔 Looks like I may have to add that to the chicken feed list. Sheesh.
Breakfast under the oaks in the meadow.....
IMG_6581.jpeg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Took a few hours out there this morning. I'm so loving the weather - and feel for you all who are coping with the not-so-joyous winter stuff. 'Tis part of the reason I'm here (did I mention I got married in the worst blizzard in Chicago history at that time?). Took the north ranch road and detoured to the oranges this morning. The trees are full of oranges. 👍 🍊 - which means the best OJ ever for a few months. Didn't have any last year as the trees didn't produce - they dropped all their fruit in the previous summer - heat and lack of water. They are in a place where we can not get water to them. They've got deep roots, if we get good rains then they produce. Thank God we didn't lose them.
Pulled a few wild cucumbers - still looking good for less this year. Gave a few oaks "haircuts" - they get little leaves on the trunk that if left untouched will turn the tree into a huge bush. California Live Oaks are a bit different than the oaks back east. AND -- woo hoo - the sole lilac is blooming. A California Wild Lilac - tiny flowers, and a delicate smell. It won't last long so I'll probably get down to the meadow as much as I can. Cutting some flowers doesn't really bring the lilac smell inside like the lilacs in the east. so it's an 'enjoy it outside' thing.
We've got a seasonal creek on the ranch (only runs for a few days if it's rained enough) that is where the oranges are. I ~was going to cross it - well I did and Obi did but the sheep decided not to take the plunge :lol:. We could've forced them - but why?! So we went back the way we came and went out way to the meadow. The sheep were pleased with that choice and munched green and buckwheat the rest of the time.

California Wild Lilac
IMG_6793.jpeg

No - we've can't cross that, you don't have Woolite with you, and we
didn't bring our swim fins.....
IMG_6713.jpeg

How about a little OJ??
IMG_6695.jpeg

No Thank You!
IMG_6698.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oranges! How fantastic! The lilacs are beautiful and I know you enjoy them.

Could you make a series of baffles in the creek bed to hold water longer? You could lay bags of concrete mix down, Stab rebar through them to hold them in place. The water would back up, until it overflowed and form small pools until they evaporated away. But enough would soak in to help the trees and grass.

At our old farm in Lindale, we had a dry/wet gully that went under the fence. We put concrete bags down for a water gate, to keep sheep and dogs from going under the fence. I’ll see if I can find those pictures.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Found them! You wouldn’t have to make a pile like mine, but just enough to retain a little water. Mine formed a small pool, dogs loved it.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
At any rate it came with a little bag black soldier fly "treats". I've never given my chickens treats - other than garden and kitchen scraps. Holy Moly - they went crazy over them I'd dump a cup of scratch and then sprinkle a few of the "treats" on top. They used to go crazy for the scratch. NO MORE - they go to the scratch and look up and wait for the "treats" or try to jump up to get them. Good Lord - they are monsters now!
Treats for chickens! When we moved to this place, it was overrun with earwigs. If we put down a box or bucket immediately they would show up in the hundreds under it. They got into everything everywhere including in the house.

We had chickens at the time, and they would eat the earwigs if they found them. I started laying large pieces of cardboard down on the dirt (we didn't have any paved driveway or patio back then). The next day I would call the chickens lie I dd for their scratch. When they came running, I would quickly lift up the cardboard and the chicken would go crazy eating the earwigs! A year or two later they were significantly reduced near the house. Good old chickens!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bet I could!! I've actually thought about something along those lines - pretty much where the sheep said - "I ain't crossing" -- mind you, it was at best ankle deep!! :) Time to think more seriously on this one. 👍 It would probably have to be for next year - we more than likely have one, maybe two more rainy days left until we hit the dry out season.