SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
A quick google search gave me these images. I like the first one - brushes screwed onto a post. The second one looks fairly simple too, like a rough rug attached to a post. The last one seems the least practical and definitely more goat-oriented 😆
I like those! The first two are definitely do-able!!! And ... affordable :) - adding to the project list and keeping an eye out for brooms on sale or free!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The round "roller type" one would be good if you have some "in" with the local DOT or city group that does the "road sweeping"... like in early spring where they take the sweeper and clean off the gravel etc from when it is spread over the winter on icy roads... they do the concrete bridges and such because the gravel actually can be a hazard for stopping... and for motorcycles and such for stopping.... ever tried to stop a bicycle on gravel????? every so often they have to replace the sweeper brushes because they just don't get the grit off the concrete surfaces when they get worn...... there are companies that do sweeps of parking lots and such... contact them if there are any around....

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
At a sheep show several years we bought one of the large brushes from the street sweeping machines. This 4-H boy's grandfather worked for or owned a street sweeper company and he gave this boy (about 14 yrs.) the old brushes so he could sell them to sheep people. His mom & dad brought in 2 pickup loads (about 8 of them and sold them for $75. He was making money to buy registered sheep. He sold out at the show and was taking orders. I don't notice our sheep using it much, but maybe because we just have it laying on the ground. If we put it up on a post, they might use it more.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
The last few times I've been out grazing I've thought and felt that I should have tried Zo (1 yr old male pup). I've worked with him in the pasture, the corral, and both arenas. He's always been good. Of course a little silliness with the young age, but always good. Around the house he will copy what Obi does. Seriously - will watch him and then do the same thing.
I've had this feeling before --- take the other dog - but have ended up doing the easier route - taking the fully trained, read my mind, read the sheep right dog - aka Obi. Every time I do, I'm out there and kicking myself for not following my own instinct. TODAY I gave in - took Zo to the barn. I decided that it would be best to take reliable sheep and leave the unpredictable ones and the lambs behind. So began Zo's first day on the job.
Zo helped sort out the bad players - and he did a good job. Mantra "slow is fast and fast is slow" - don't rush the sort at the gate - easy does it, a little pressure here, a little there, and slick as _________ we had them sorted with no trouble. From the corral to pasture easy peasy. Along the pasture fence to the gate, easy, open the gate, move the sheep out, close the gate. No problem.
I decided to try grazing along the outside of the pasture fence - the green there is almost hip high on me. Thinking that the sheep liked munching there the other day and that the green would be a barrier of sorts for Zo with the ranch road along the side it would be a great place for Zo to start learning the graze. And it was. :)
We spent a fair amount of time there. Me telling Zo "GRAAAAZE", "EEEEASY GRAAAAZE". He sort of got the idea - especially when every time he thought of going into the green I said AAAAK, GRAAAZE - and he'd return to the ranch road working back and forth. He'd totally stop on his own and just stand there - processing what I wanted. I think he was figuring out what to do and how to do it.
Did he try to go all the way around - yes,
Did he, yes,
Did he cause a commotion - NO ! :)
Hmmmm 🤔
OK - just stand still and see what he does. OMG --- he made his own "borders" an L shape. Damnnn - this pup is going to be good.
Did he get tired/bored - yes when I kept him to the ranch road.
Did he take out his boredom on the sheep - NO! He just would start to wander but would come back to graze when I called.
When I felt it was time to put the sheep away - only a few yards or so from where we were I got that feeling again. WALK THE RANCH ROAD
Oh geeze - should I?? It would be easier to just end on a good note. A little voice in my head said/screamed DO IT.
So we did. As we started I thought 'Zo is tired, mistakes happen when they are tired' -- but I kept going know full well where the trouble spots could be. Well I'll be - that little (he's not little) dog worked the rear, worked the sides, and worked the front of the sheep. Even prevented a run away. We stopped a few places along the way for the sheep to grab a few bites and Zo to catch his breath.
We walked the entire ranch road and it was all good work. I'm so proud of the boy. He did good. And he's tired. A good tired and resting his head on my foot as I type this in.

Zo - showing me where he thinks he should be on the graze...... (this is outside of the pasture)
IMG_7309.jpeg
IMG_7313.jpeg

Working the side as we go back to the barn on the ranch road....

IMG_7320.jpeg

When Silver is close by walking or grazing I'm plucking at the wool/hair that's on her neck - that pretty (to me) color is underneath. She doesn't mind the plucking.
IMG_7294.jpeg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's cold and blustery today. And really really windy. 48, 29+mph with gusts to 40, 92% humidity. Was out in that for two hours teaching detection / nosework. Adverse conditions made for great lessons on odor and hide placement. I survived :) . On cup ☕ two just so I can warm my hands👐.
Heading over to the barn to let the sheep out early this morning I had to toss 2 giant tumble weeds
1677105099560.gif
out of the way - yeah - that kind of day. And a few avocados on the road had to be picked up :D =D.
The sheep were happy to be out. The wind doesn't seem to bother them much. They're out munching in the pasture - which I admit is not getting the brunt of the wind (30mph with 40mph gusts).
With the wind we've got now and for the next few days every single drop of rain we get will be needed. Things were already drying out - dust kicks up even as the sheep, dog and I walk the ranch road.
Some metal cabinets are supposed to be delivered Friday for the tack room. The tack room is pretty organized, but the cabinets will be great. LOL they'll probably fill up fast - we all know how that happens.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two and a half inches of rain!! EEK - from Thurs-Saturday. Poor sheep were asking for surf boards. But alas, none to be found for them - though the lambs did dance on their feed pans. :bunny
Got out to graze this morning They were sooo happy to get to the real green stuff. It's sooo much more tasty than the $$ alfalfa o_O. They did a good job as the road crew and then lounged in the meadow where ..... the Filaree a flock favorite from last year has gotten to the sweet and tasty phase. Major yum for the sheeps. I saw a few tiny purple flowers starting to open on them - that is sheep nirvana. It'll last about a month. And ....then..... the fields will dry and turn brown and our 6 months of out and about grazing will more than likely come to an end. Foxtails will be out (nasty things) and the slitheries will be crawling along.
Gotta enjoy what's left of the cool and wet.

Road crew in action! ;):D =D
IMG_7457 (1).jpeg

IMG_7456 (1).jpeg

And....... the ranch road will need a little Tractor TLC. The joys of something
that is not flat - but it's pretty! :D =D