Herd Master
Reaction score
I got a text from DIL and she picked up 5 chicks:
Isabella Leghorn (white eggs)
Black Copper Maran (dk brown eggs)
Prairie Bluebell Egger (blue egg) <new to me>
Sapphire Olive Egger (light green) <new to me>
Starlight Green Egger (dark green eggs) <new to me>
I would've picked a different white egg layer - but hope that hers won't end up being a bully.

While I was at Tractor Supply I checked the chicks there - but they only one tub of bantams - the others are all sold out. According to them they sell out the first day. Not that I need more chickens.......
There was another gal there looking too. She seemed a bit desperate to get chicks and I told her about the other feed store and that today was their "chick day" and to call to see if they could just go there or if they needed an appointment (yeah - it can get that crowded on chick day). She called and was good to go. BUT I had the number of chicks wrong --- they got TWO THOUSAND in. I didn't feel bad steering her away from TSC - the other feed store is a family owned business and always good to their customers. Besides TSC didn't have any, and she wanted chicks today.
SOOO - I got a little bored, not like I need more chickens ....... but I went online to My Pet Chicken --- I've gotten chicks from them before. They've got some news ones (heck some of the ones my DIL got are new to me - and when I started I went for all the different breeds) -- so MPC has crossbreeds they've been working on - and a Silky Easter Egger that is not a bantam. Hmmmm - not that I need more chickens :D =D:D =D:rolleyes::D =D. I thinks I'll go look a little more seriously there, not that I need more chickens!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Prices of chicks and hens are way up also!! Heck, I'm giving eggs away. Nice eggs, barnyard mix.

I've bought from My Pet Chicken before...several yrs back. Prices are way, way up now, from them. Instead I drove for some chicks this year. Nice birds, cream legbars. Waiting on some Bresse chicks to hatch end of month. Another drive but only 50-60 miles this time. Sure, I need more ! :lol:

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Prices of chicks and hens are way up also!! Heck, I'm giving eggs away. Nice eggs, barnyard mix.

I've bought from My Pet Chicken before...several yrs back. Prices are way, way up now, from them. Instead I drove for some chicks this year. Nice birds, cream legbars. Waiting on some Bresse chicks to hatch end of month. Another drive but only 50-60 miles this time. Sure, I need more ! :lol:
Yeah no went back and looked a little more closely at the prices- key phrase “starting at” which of course was straight run. Then I looked at the silly Easter Egger - $39!! :th:thNot happening!
I’ve got plenty of eggs from my current chickens - more than enough. But it’s that chicken thing! 🤣

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bought Cornish Cross chicks for $1.95, they have laying breeds too. Small selection, but good prices. This business was started by a kid still in high school about 8 years ago.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bought Cornish Cross chicks for $1.95, they have laying breeds too. Small selection, but good prices. This business was started by a kid still in high school about 8 years ago.

Bargain rooster chicks .......$0.49 !! Of course that's a roo ;)